Moen Posi-Temp. please help how to remove part that handle connects to

Users who are viewing this thread

BobNJ

Reaction score
IMG_20180503_181541.jpg IMG_20180503_181547.jpg IMG_20180503_182213.jpg IMG_20180503_182221.jpg

I have a few questions. First I have searched so many videos and images and parts lists, and I cannot figure out how to remove the piece that the handle set screw went into. I want to replace the trim pieces, but I cannot get the back piece off without removing the large part at the front. Please help with either identifying the piece or removal tips. Next, from what I gather the plumber ten years ago perhaps left more pipe coming through the wall than was necessary, it functions just fine, but does not look great. (very grateful that it functioned its a very old house and nothing is easy, so no complaints) so both my tub spout and handle sit out further from the wall then I would prefer. I was told for the tub spout I can cut back the copper pipe and install a slip on spout, does this sound correct? Because the faucet is so far out it has always been wiggly, is there anything that I can do to solve that? Single mom, trying to take my game to the next level, functional and looks good :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you remove the retaining screw, then that piece is corroded to the stem. SOmetimes the easiest way us is to cut the stem off. It is a Moen valve, but we cannot tell whether it is a Monticello or PosiTemp which have different pieces. There is NO STANDARD for how far the valve projects as long is it is between the MIN/MAX settings. If yours has TWO trim rings, then it WAS installed too close to the wall's surface.

moen-monticello-shower-tango.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BobNJ

Reaction score
If you remove the retaining screw, then that piece is corroded to the stem. SOmetimes the easiest way us is to cut the stem off. It is a Moen valve, but we cannot tell whether it is a Monticello or PosiTemp which have different pieces. There is NO STANDARD for how far the valve projects as long is it is between the MIN/MAX settings. If yours has TWO trim rings, then it WAS installed too close to the wall's surface.
THANKS, ok how do I find the retaining screw on the control piece? Also, is it ok to cut back the pipe on the spout piece and put a slip on spout over this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks