Moen Posi-temp No Water New Construction

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by guarrac1no, Jun 21, 2020.

1. guarrac1no

guarrac1no New Member

Let me start by saying, I'm handy, but not a plumber. I recently finished my basement, including a full bath myself. Everything is closed up and now I have no water at my shower head. I know I should have tested this before closing everything up.

I installed the Moen 2590 Posi-Temp valve. I am using PEX + Sharkbite. I plugged the tub outlet with a brass plug. Here is a (blurry) picture from the install:

IMG_8C1E5D99233D-1.jpeg

Now that everything is closed up, I pulled the cartridge and flushed both the hot and cold with seemingly equal pressure on both sides.

• I have both valves open completely.
    • I opened the stops so that they are horizontal to the floor.
    • I played with the stops to see if I had unequal pressure, with no luck.
    • I removed the shower head and shower arm to ensure there were no blocks and the screen was clean.
    • I replaced the cartridge to ensure that wasn't blocked.
    The only other things I can think are 1) the valve is bad or 2) there is a blockage somewhere between the stops and the shower arm. Appreciate your help!

IMG_1279.jpg

2. guarrac1no

guarrac1no New Member

Closing this. It ended up being a bad valve.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I soldered one where the soldered had flowed down and covered up the small port going to the shower head.
    I wound up replacing that valve.
    I now solder that part on the horizontal before installing in the wall.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Notice the small passageway for water to find it's way from the tub spout to the shower head?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If solder finds it's way down that hole, then no water, or at lest very little water makes it to the shower head.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020