Moen Posi-Temp cartridge model and removal help

Users who are viewing this thread

eddie3

Reaction score
Hi, first time post,

one of my boys had the handle break off during a shower, the stem broke off inside the cartridge in the on position, my wife picked up a few Moen cartridges recommended, at the Home depot 1200 and 1225, not sure if either is right or not the ones I'm looking do not have plastic like the original one, I included a image, maybe someone will know the exact one that is, I also have no idea where to start pulling that out since the stems broken off and the puller I have will not work

moen-posi-broken-stem-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is a Moen Posi-Temp. The cartridge is a 1222

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

Normally a puller like this works.

moen-screws2.jpg

You can use some wood screws to pull it with . Make sure you don't hit the body of the valve or you will be buying a new one.

moen-screws3.jpg

index.php

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the valve snaps in two, like yours and many, many others, there is no "one size fits all" procedure to remove it. You may have to resort to several options, and get creative, before it comes out. Usually, for me, the first thing is to break off the two white tabs, so the cartridge can rotate.

eddie3

Reaction score
IMG_20180109_155738.jpg

Ok, used the two screw method and it got almost everything out, but the white plastic outer layer of valve, I included a image of where I'm at below, that plastic will not budge no matter what and the last thing at this point I want to do is damage the valve body, it is all just a white plastic layer inside and at the end looks like a cap with screen etc, any advice would be a tremendous help, I saw someone remove that white layer with a bit, but it also had a metal shell with it, this one is all white plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have an expanding internal wrench that I use, but you can also use a screwdriver heated red hot to cut a groove in both sides of it, (you have to keep reheating the screwdriver to keep it red hot), then pry the two pieces loose and pull them out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks