Moen Posi-Temp, A little help?

Users who are viewing this thread

rvontop

Reaction score
I ran 1/2 PEX line off of a 1/2 copper line to a Moen shower mixer. I ran the 1/2 PEX into about a 8 inch 1/2 copper line before the mix valve to take added pressure cause of PEX diameter and a 1/2 copper line to the shower head. And the damn shower head is leaking. What do I do now? Please somebody learn me my lesson.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rvontop

Reaction score
What was your original problem that brought all this on, rv?
Thank you for replying. The problem is the shower head is leaking, threw me for a curve. I assume everything was done right? The only solution I can come up with is to much pressure in existing lines at source.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your shower is dripping you most likely need a new cartridge in the faucet. You may also have a pressure issue, but sometimes older stuff leaks first if the pressure in the house it too high, for whatever reason.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a tub spout, it must be run in either copper or regular pipe fittings. CPVC or PEX restrict too much, and force water up to the shower head.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shower head is leaking because the valve's cartridge or mechanism is failing. It has NOTHING to do with "pressure" and what you did has NOTHING to do with changing pressure either.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shower head is leaking because the valve's cartridge or mechanism is failing. It has NOTHING to do with "pressure" and what you did has NOTHING to do with changing pressure either.
I remember the job where I first became aware of pressure issues. New waterlines in the neighborhood, I found out after much troubleshooting the customer complaints: the T&P valve was drizzling water into the dirt under the house, the water in the kitchen was splashing out of the sink, and all the toilets were running, plus the shower was dribbling water.
Don't remember the brand of the shower valve, but I remember the washers were unusual. They were like little pop-on Abe Lincoln stovepipe hats. They leaked, so I installed new ones, and they leaked. Didn't know what the hell was going on.

Installed my first PRV on that job.

Plumber Man

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. Did you take the cartridge out before soldering the copper into the valve? You possibly damage the cartridge with heat and will need to replace it.
2. Debris in the valve body or cartridge.
Remove the cartridge and visually inspect.

3. Temp limit stop.
Do you have the limit stop straight up?
Looking at the front of the valve like a clock the stop is designed to be straight up at 12 o'clock or to the right.
If you have it to the left 11:55 to 11:59 the tabs in the handle will not allow the valve to shut off and cause the faucet to drip.

moen-t187-shower-trim.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks