Moen - low faucet pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

freebird_wr

Reaction score
I have a fairly new Moen faucet in my kitchen - I believe it is the Vestige series. Within the last 2 weeks, the water from the faucet has reduced to a small stream, not much more than a trickle. Last week, I took off the aerator and a bunch of small white particles, kinda looking like cat litter, came out. I replaced the cartridge and pulled the line off the faucet and cleared that. Nothing came out the line. Both the hot and cold have still have low pressure, even without the aerator. What else can I do?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I assume your other fixtures don't have the same problem, so i would turn the water off for the faucet and remove the stem and check the small holes in it for clogs i have even washed stems out using the bath tub spout. You might need to replace the stem. I have had spouts clog also. you need to check everything.

Well thats what i would do first.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I've had the same trouble on new fauucets when the stops were very old.
The rubber washers in thew old stops tend to break apart and lodge inside when you close/open them to install a new faucet.
What has worked (if thats the trouble) is closing the water main, open a drain at a low point in the basement (if nothing else, the water heaters drain), then go upstairs and open the faucet, hot & cold.
The faucet should make a suction sound as the water drains, it will hopefully suck out any debris thats trapped in the ports inside the faucet.
Also, you might check the valves under the counter first, be sure they're fully open, they could be the cause as well if they're in bad shape.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

All we can tell you, without being there is that if neither the hot or cold change the flow, then the problem is AFTER the control lever, so you may have to trace from the aerator back until you find a point where you do have pressure. Is this a faucet with a pull out spout?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
is the water at the spray faster than the faucet.
try taking off the spout to see if its full of stuff

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

Also, you might check the valves under the counter first, be sure they're fully open, they could be the cause as well if they're in bad shape.

That exact thing happened to me. Replaced my kitchen faucet and was very disappointed with the flow. Aerator was OK. I finally thought to remove the stop valves under the sink and what do you know - both were heavily calcified. Cleaned out the deposits and voila - great flow from the faucet.

MoenMan

Reaction score
You have he 1h version or the 2h version?

And I know if it's a Vestige it has to have a side sprayer.......have you checked the pressure of water coming out of the side sprayer when the faucet handle(s) are turned all the way on? If you get good flow from your side sprayer then your diverter is clogged possibly just stuck in which case you need to remove and clean it or call for a replacement diverter.

Before taking it off you can try, again while the water is turned on full force, very rapidly pressing the side spray button in hopes that the water moving back and forth with allow it to become dislodged.

If you don't have good pressure from the side sprayer, and this depends on which model of the Vestige you have (if it is Vestige) you could have your hoses with the black plastic hydrolock connectors switched around which will cause your check valve inside that diverter to lessen the water drastically until reversed.

Go here, http://www.moen.com/buymoen/buyparts/index.cfm in the middle of the page go through that question pathing for me and let me know which one most resembles your faucet or get me the model number from the box or the INS # in the upper right hand corner of your instruction sheet and we can proceede from there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks