Moen Chateau Kitchen Valve Repeatedly Hard To Operate

Users who are viewing this thread

StevenHB

Reaction score
The single-handle valve below is installed in an infrequently used sink installed as part of a wet bar in my home. I've replaced the cartridge several times (with replacements from HD and/or Lowes) with the same result: the valve operates well for a short period of time, but in what seems like just a few weeks, turning it off requires that I push the handle down and then wiggle it left and right while continuing to push down to get it to turn off. I know that the cartridges claim to be "lubricated" which makes me think that whatever the lube, it isn't lasting long.

What would you recommend that I do? Replace with some particular cartridge? Replace the faucet altogether?

20220909_133616.jpg
20220909_133626.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's the Moen 1225 cartridge, and if the replacement is becoming hard to use, then maybe it should be replaced.
Weird though, as I have a kitchen faucet with this cartridge.

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is a particularly bad design and classic mal-performer. Same holds true using that same cartridge on the push-pull lav. faucets.
That style of Moen is not to be recommended. Newer models with different cartridges and designs are fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nothging fancy about those faucets my opinion is they work fine possibly can be regreased but I just replace and they work great like terry says 1225 moen . replace cartridge for years of service

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
If you're the original owner, Moen will send you a new cartridge at no charge. I don't know if the ones you got at the big box stores were Moen or generic, but I would go with the Moen.

You could also try removing the cartridge and filling the cavity with CLR and let it sit a while to remove any deposits in the bore.

The last Moen I had (the very last) needed constant work, and I found out a very thin schmear (wipe on, wipe off) of clear dielectric grease improved the feel and even stopped the persistent drip.

John

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the handle has to be pushed down to turn it off this indicates the handle is not assembled properly. If you remove the handle and look inside you will see the end of the lever has either a loop or a hook shaped end. That part must engage the groove in the retainer nut.

1662822764464.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sorry didnt read well, having the faucet work normal for a few weeks then getting hard to operate isnt a problem i had happen . improper assembly i would expect to cause imediate issues. It shouldnt be too hard to remove handle and try working faucet by just gripping the cartridge with pliers it should move very easy on a 2 week old or even 2 month old cartridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks