Moen 3372 Diverter Valve Hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

snowy_owl

Reaction score
My plumber recently installed the Moen 3372 diverter valve in my shower. It consists of shower head, and hand held unit. It's not working properly, because it never just flows through the shower head only (off, hand held only, hand held and shower head together).

In all the documents I've noticed, the valve sits like a T (water source coming from bottom (input), with the other two valves pointing to the left and to the right (outputs)).

After taking the cover off and looking at the diverter, I see that the plumber has installed the valve sideways (source coming from bottom, with one connection going straight up to the shower head and the other connection going to the left to connect to the hand held). All the photos I've seen have the cartridge clip on the top, and mine is to the right.

My question is, does it make any difference which connection the water source is connected to? The way I see it, he has water coming into an output, diverting out to an output, and diverting out to an input. Please tell me it shouldn't make any difference, and it's more than likely the cartridge is defective.

snowy_owl

Reaction score
Well to answer my own question, and help anyone in a similar situation down the road...

I called Moen, and told them the diverter wasn't working correctly. They told me the only thing that could cause this type of issue was the cartridge and it should be replaced even though everything was brand new.

My Plumber showed up on the weekend, and de-soldered the diverter and fed the water source to the bottom of the 'T'. Everything worked perfectly after that - it wasn't the cartridge as Moen suggested.

If you see your Plumber installing this diverter sideways, save yourself some frustration and tell him/her it needs to be installed with the source connected to the bottom of the 'T' and the other two devices (shower head, hand held) connected to the top of each side of the 'T' (probably means an inward 'U' connection to get the pipes lined up to the pipe for the shower head).

Cheers.....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
moen_3330.jpg

The 3372 looks like the top of this 3320 valve setup.
We plumbers sometimes make mistakes. I'm glad your installation was corrected and you're good to go now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks