Moen 1222 cartridge stem rotates freely, normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

AlWessex

Reaction score
I bought a Moen 1222 cartridge and I just noticed that the stem can rotate freely in either direction 360 degrees, is this normal or is the cartridge damaged? I expected it to stop at some point when fully on and stop at some point where its fully off. Should I exchange it?

I was just about to attempt to replace my old one and I'd like to make sure before proceeding. Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The stem spins. The tube comes with stops

moen-notch-down.jpg

posi-stem-stop-2.jpg

AlWessex

Reaction score
The stem spins. The tube comes with stops

Hey thanks for the reply,

So if I understand these images correctly the stop mechanism is on the faucet assembly itself and not built into the cartridge, meaning it will spin freely 360 degrees in either direction without it.

I was kind of worried about damaging the cartridge by spinning it the wrong way or too far in a direction that it's not supposed to go... but according to this it'll spin in any direction 360 degrees and that's normal, correct?

Sorry for the dumb questions I'm just trying to understand how it works before I attempt the repair.

AlWessex

Reaction score
The cartridge is meant to be reversible

That's interesting, so if I prefered could I just install it without the stopper and have it function with 360 degrees of movement and it'd work fine? I'd rather like that.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Terry, are you and your wife running these answers from the hospital?
Your screen shots of all the nice and helpful tips are a real legacy.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, are you and your wife running these answers from the hospital?
Your screen shots of all the nice and helpful tips are a real legacy.
It's slowing me down some. I've been here two weeks now. It will be nice when I can get on my desktop again. Thanks!

AlWessex

Reaction score
The cartridge is meant to be reversible

I just wanted to follow up and thank you for this forum and your replies, everything seems to be in working order thanks in part to the many threads of advice I've been reading here.

Cheers mate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks