Moen 1222 cartridge issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Swope1221

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am posting here because I have been having ongoing issues with my shower and Moen 1222 cartridges. I'll try to keep it brief, we remodeled our bathroom about 16 years ago and installed a Moen Adler shower valve. The shower worked fine till about 3 years ago when my son and friend were messing around, and literally the stem broke off the cartridge. I got the cartridge out and replaced it and everything worked fine, for about a year.

After a year I was getting either all hot, or cold, I don't remember which, so I replaced the cartridge again. Fast forward 1 year later, same problem, replaced again, this time I bought the 1222 hd, the all brass version. And here we are now today, same problem.

Is there something I am doing wrong when installing these cartridges that is causing them to fail so prematurely? When I replaced the previous one, I looked at the old cartridge and I could see inner stem was blocking one of the holes for the water to enter the cartridge, and no matter how I tried to rotate the stem to simulate turning on the shower and adjusting the temp, the hole never became unblocked.

It is a shower/bath combo with the diverter on the tub spout.

If there is any other information that might help let me know. It seems at this point I am going to have to replace the cartridge again, but I am hoping I can do it and it lasts longer than a year.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Swope1221

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks for your reply. We have a well, and hard water. We get little pieces of sediment at our faucets, as when I take the aerators off and check, there are little teeny tiny bits. What gets me is that the original that was preinstalled in the valve when I bought it, lasted as long as it did, about 14 years, and our other bathroom which was remodeled the next year, and has the same moen adler model, hasn't had a problem either. This yearly replacing only started once I had to remove the original and put in another one, which is why I thought I am doing something wrong. I can pretty reliably predict that if I go out and get a new cartridge, and replace it now it would work right out of the gate.

I thought of calling a plumber and having them do it, almost for peace of mind, but not sure if it will make a difference. It just seem like I shouldn't have to keep buying new cartridges on a yearly basis.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks