Modifying Laundry room / adding washer

Users who are viewing this thread

michio Marcus Ohno

Reaction score
First off, Thank you very much for looking at this post.

I'm trying to rework my plumbing in my laundry room. In this process, I want to flip location of my laundry sink with a washer and add a washer.

To add to this, the existing stack is glued in such a way that you can't really remove anything lower than the first Y above the cleanout. Also, the original plumber notched into the 2x4 to insert the existing laundry standpipe to the point where there is almost no integrity. The vent also goes through the 2x4s to the left with holes that are beyond what they should be for structural integrity (this is a load bearing interior wall). I also want to try to get the drain lines left of where the washers will be so that they are concealed by the washers (this is a cosmetic preference and therefore less critical).

So, ideally, I would like to work within the existing space without cutting into the 2x4 structure more (holes for supply lines would be fine). I will put on saddles onto the 2x4s with holes in them and try to strengthen the notched stud somehow.

Proposed solution:
-Standpipes - cut out existing 1.5" sink drain. Slip fit 2" Y to a trap. Then connect 2- 2" standpipes to that Y. One of the standpipes will have a couple bends to scoot it left. The reason for not including separate trap is because then that gets out of compliance with being max 16" off the floor and the top of standpipe would also get pretty tall. (seems practically what this person did: https://www.allthingsthrifty.com/plumbing-double-washer-and-dryer/)
-New laundry sink - cut out 2" standpipe. reduce down to 1.5" stub-out to accept sink drain. Sink likely has it's own trap, so there would end up being double traps.

Existing drain picture.jpg

Existing Drain.jpg

Proposed drain.jpg

michio Marcus Ohno

Reaction score
For new laundry sink, Instead of having double traps, I could just connect sink to stub-out without a trap under the sink, thus just using the existing (in-wall) 2" trap. Any problem there?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks