Mixing valve problem...is it me or the valve(s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Randall Herron

Reaction score
I'm renovating a bathroom in our home that requires all fixtures be controlled to 110°F. I have 3/4" hot and cold supply coming into the room. I had originally installed a Honeywell AM-101C-US-1. That valve produced 80° water out of the hot side at the highest setting. Through a lot of reading and research I convinced myself that I had chosen the incorrect valve for my application, so I purchased this (Honeywell AM-101C-1070-US-1) valve and installed it. I'm getting the exact same results of 80° water from the hot side. I've checked both valves for any issues like sticking parts and everything seems fine. I've ran probably 50 gallons of water through these and it doesn't get better. I've attached a picture of my installation...did I do something incorrect? Is there a chance that I received 2 valves from 2 different suppliers and both are bad? What am I missing here?

Thanks
20171011_204459[1].jpg

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm renovating a bathroom in our home that requires all fixtures be controlled to 110°F. I have 3/4" hot and cold supply coming into the room. I had originally installed a Honeywell AM-101C-US-1. That valve produced 80° water out of the hot side at the highest setting. Through a lot of reading and research I convinced myself that I had chosen the incorrect valve for my application, so I purchased this (Honeywell AM-101C-1070-US-1) valve and installed it. I'm getting the exact same results of 80° water from the hot side. I've checked both valves for any issues like sticking parts and everything seems fine. I've ran probably 50 gallons of water through these and it doesn't get better. I've attached a picture of my installation...did I do something incorrect? Is there a chance that I received 2 valves from 2 different suppliers and both are bad? What am I missing here?

ThanksView attachment 42417
Hot and cold are on right side? Can it be installed horizontal? Is there a tamper proof setting under the black cap

Reach4

Reaction score
so I purchased this (Honeywell AM-101C-1070-US-1) valve and installed it. I'm getting the exact same results of 80° water from the hot side.
Hot side... ambiguous words... maybe 80° at the hot center. :)

However since you have the stick-on thermometer on the output port, I am confident that you got that part right. Too bad, since that does not identify the problem.

So the gray pipe delivers the hot from the water heater. Is that hot supply, where you have the insulation, good and hot?

Randall Herron

Reaction score
Hot and cold are on right side? Can it be installed horizontal? Is there a tamper proof setting under the black cap

I've double checked the hot and cold and they are connected on the right side. Nothing in the literature defines vertical or horizontal install. I'm assuming since it functions from temp/pressure that it wouldn't matter...keyword assuming. and no, there are no tamper proof items under the cap.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
In your photo, the temperature strip seems to be indicating much above 80F.
img_6.jpg

This is a snip from the AM101C-1LF instructions.

IMG_5.jpg

Randall Herron

Reaction score
Hot side... ambiguous words... maybe 80° at the hot center. :)

However since you have the stick-on thermometer on the output port, I am confident that you got that part right. Too bad, since that does not identify the problem.

So the gray pipe delivers the hot from the water heater. Is that hot supply, where you have the insulation, good and hot?
I should have referred to that as the mixed line instead of hot side. Yes the actual "hot" feed line is very warm

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use a digital thermometer at the sink that the mixed water is piped to. I don't trust those little stick on thermometers.

The reason you use a mixing valve is so you can turn up the hot water heater. The incoming water needs to be hot because it is being mixed with cold water. If you install a recirculating pump, you need to also install an aquastat.

Last edited:

Randall Herron

Reaction score
https://media.statesupply.com/filem...ywell_am-1-series-mixing-valves_submittal.pdf has more detailed instructions, including a LIMITING TEMPERATURE RANGE section.

It also says "These AM-1 Series models can be installed in any position consistent with the
intended use."

I am mystified by the photo effect.

Thanks Reach4
The information on how the supply temperature effects the mixed temp may be the key. I'm going to play around with my hot supply tonight to see if it makes any significant difference

Randall Herron

Reaction score
I use a digital thermometer at the sink that the mixed water is piped to. I don't trust those little stick on thermometers.

The reason you use a mixing valve is so you can turn up the hot water heater. The incoming water needs to be hot because it is being mixed with cold water. If you install a recirculating pump, you need to also install an aquastat.

Hi Smooky,
I was actually measuring the temp with a digital thermometer. The strip was placed on the line at install and hasn't really had any attention given to it since then...Just part of the photo. I'm coming to the conclusion that it may be all about my supply temperatures. I've never measured the cold side but the hot in my kitchen (straight from the hot water heater) comes out around 135°. I'm going to play around with the hot side settings to see how much it effects the mixed temp. I'll be back to let y'all know what I find.

Randall Herron

Reaction score
Hi All,
I wanted to come back and let everyone know that my project has been completed and I did finally get the valve to work. I thought it may be beneficial to someone in the future that makes the same mistake I made.
At the point in time where I was making my initial temperature measurements I had all the rough plumbing in place...double vanity and shower. The problem turned out to be the shower. The rough ins I had in place did not have shutoffs so I had an open loop in the system where the mixed water was re-mixing with the cold water. The point where I realized this was during my troubleshooting. I had attached me like a ton of bricks...what a stupid oversight on my part. Once the guts to the shower controller and diverter were installed, voila, everything worked as expected.
So anyway, Thanks again to everyone that offered your assistance. Rookie, DIY'er mistake, but I've learned a good lesson. For your viewing pleasure I've attached a couple of pictures of the finished job.
20171101_205128.jpg
20171206_064300.jpg
20171120_074105.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is a classical case of trying to diagnose something without ALL the information. If you said you had installed a NEW Delta "universal valve body" that would have been the first thing we thought of because few installers read the directions and install the small "bypass plug" that comes with the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks