Mixet valve replacement gone bad after a week

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Gall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I replaced two mixet valves in my new house about 2 weeks ago. I used this valve as a replacement for both:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_42931-1366-88200_0__?productId=1086495

On the master bath, I had a tight fit due to the o-ring being more round than the previous valve, which has a different type of flatter o-ring. I went to home depot with both parts (old and new) and the residential plumber said I just needed to clean out the pipe and lube the opening, give it a good push it in, which worked. After the install everything worked fine.

However, after 2 weeks have gone by the shower was leaking from the shower head. The valve was closed all the way, but water was still coming out. I tightened the fixture a bit and it stopped leaking, however the water release turning nob has to be turned real tight to get it to stop, which I don't like to do and this is obviously not the way a new valve should be operating.

The valve in my guest bathroom seemed to be a better fit, as it went in smoothly. There is also a clear distinction when you turn the nob you can sense when it completely cuts off the water and it sort of clicks when its closed.

I no longer have the original for the master bath, but I could probably identify it in a line up. I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the master bath valve and get a good replacement. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks