Mixet valve crossover

Users who are viewing this thread

T4harry

Reaction score
Hi. I am a landlord and I have a condo that was one of several in the complex that was identified as having "crossover" in the shower valve. The HOA has given us 2 weeks to correct the problem. It is a Mixet valve, and neither my tenant or I is excited about the prospect of ripping out the wall to install a new valve. Are there any other options to correct the problem that are less invasive? Would a new valve stem correct the problem? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

mixet_valve_trim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With most valve, there isn't a cross-over unless it's left on all the time.
Mixet can though.
Someone may have a shutoff on a shower head, in combination with an open valve. Some use this as a ways of saving water, momentarily shutting of a shower head, leaving the valve on, while soaping up, then flicking the valve back to on to rinse off. If these are left in the "shower head off, shower valve on" settings, then the cross over can occur. Crossover doesn't occur with a standard shower head that hasn't been shutoff.

Except now hj tells me Mixit and Moen have cross over issues in the post below.
Read his post, he has a fix for it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mixit_nomix.jpg

The non pressure balanced Mixet valves almost ALWAYS crossover whether open or not. ( In fact, the next one I find that does NOT crossover will be the first one) The only cure is a Moen style core http://www.nomix.com/index.php I am not sure what a pressure balanced one does since I have never seen or worked on one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
NOMIX is the answer. Pricey...but less than a tear out.

The problem is that the Mixet valve bodies experienced wear or damage in a way the even a new cartridge doesn't fix the cross over. Only the NOMIX. Their website explains it somewhat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks