mixer rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott99

Reaction score
I'm about to rough in my new shower mixer and was planning on coming from my hot and cold feeds via 90 degree elbow to the mixer. I noticed on my old valve they connected it via tees instead of elbows and the top connection of the tee was just connected to about a 8inch pipe then capped.

was this for expansion to control water hammer and should I plumb my new mixer in the same way?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, the 8" piece was an air chamber. Good theory, doesn't work, because from natural turbulence in the pipes, it just fills with water quickly.

If you have an issue with water hammer, get a commercially available hammer arrestor, which use a bladder.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
air chambers

The longer the air chamber is, and the larger the pipe diameter, the longer it will be before it becomes waterlogged, but it will happen eventually. And once it does there is no practical way to regenerate it.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
"And once it does there is no practical way to regenerate it..."
other then shutting off the water, draining the system and turning it on again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks