Missing tub diverter set screw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tracie75

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace my tub diverter (no maker's mark that I can find). It's probably a cheap one like this - https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...55-c-13882.htm?tid=2715583961044494185&ipos=2

There IS a hole for a set screw, but I can't find it. I've cleaned out a lot of caulk, but still no sign of it. I took a video with the flash on, and I can see the pipe and more caulk, but no set screw.

Keep trying or call a plumber?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the hole is there as a way to drain any water out. If there is an Allen position there, you will see where it would thread in. If you only see pipe there, it may be a thread on spout.

Tracie75

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Terry, post: 566438, member: If you only see pipe there, it may be a thread on spout.[/QUOTE]

I only see pipe and caulk. No set screw, so assembly that could hold anything at all. How much torque is needed to see if it's a thread on? I'm a complete novice and am scared to damage pipes. There is some movement, just jiggling it a bit. I've scraped some caulk from where the faucet meets the surround, but I haven't tried twisting (counterclockwise?).

Tracie75

Reaction score
I was able to screenshot an image from the video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180917-123419_Video Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20180917-123419_Video Editor.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,108

Reach4

Reaction score
(counterclockwise?).
Yes.

Your picture pretty clearly shows there was never a set screw.

I don't think you could overtorque by hand. People often stick a big screwdriver into the spout for more leverage. I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If that little bright spot there was from a screw, then maybe it's been spun around. If it needs replacement, you may have to continue on with it.
As a plumber I like some of the Delta replacement spouts that allow either a pipe nipple or get soldered on. The slip on with the Allen screw may also work for you depending on the shape of the copper tube there.

Tracie75

Reaction score
Here's a better pic.

It probably didn't NEED to be replaced, but now, since I've removed so much caulk, it probably needs to be finished.

Twisting by hand doesn't do much.
20180917_124640.jpg

Joshua Koudys

Reaction score
Created an account just to post this after reading this old thread.

I was fixing up a tub, when I came across the same problem. It's definitely not a thread on, but the bolt isn't seen from below. I pulled it off the wall, and found that the bolt has in fact turned away from the hole there to access it. I'm guessing it got turned after years of twisting a faucet held on only by caulk, and then set it place from sediment. You can see the bolt is clearly there but inaccessible. I think it's on a metal ring that's simply squeezing the internal plastic.

I have the whole thing descaling in white vinegar right now. I'll try to turn it back once it's all cleaned up.

Attachments

• 15906225904651787542949998278562.jpg
    15906225904651787542949998278562.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 963

Joshua Koudys

Reaction score
Update: a long descaling, some lubricant, and a firm but gentle turn with a wrench, and my bolt is once again visible! Tap also looks like new, and the once-finnicky little thing you pull to make it go to the shower is gliding along nicely again. 10/10 would do again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_203457.jpg
    IMG_20200527_203457.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 942

Bob B.

Reaction score
Created an account just to post this after reading this old thread.

I was fixing up a tub, when I came across the same problem. It's definitely not a thread on, but the bolt isn't seen from below. I pulled it off the wall, and found that the bolt has in fact turned away from the hole there to access it. I'm guessing it got turned after years of twisting a faucet held on only by caulk, and then set it place from sediment. You can see the bolt is clearly there but inaccessible. I think it's on a metal ring that's simply squeezing the internal plastic.

I have the whole thing descaling in white vinegar right now. I'll try to turn it back once it's all cleaned up.

How did you pull it away from the wall?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks