Minisplit refridgerant piping

Users who are viewing this thread

CheesecakeLover

Reaction score
Hello, this is in regards to a minisplit installation. The instructions aren't clarifying things for me.
  1. I have read online that there is a minimum line length for the line, but the document does not say anything about minimum length. Does it hurt efficiency to cut off excess tubing and re-flare?
  2. Are there any slope requirements with the refrigerant piping that it must only run down hill? (I know the drain pipe does need to stay sloped.)
mini-split-pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitter30

Reaction score
There is no minimum line lenght but shorter might 10' might create little vibration. Refrigerant piping doesn't have to be pitched. Just don't go over factory recommendations for max lenght and height. Use factory supplied flare nuts not the ones on line set.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Need brand and model of your mini ever brand can be different it will say in the install manual. Refrigerant piping doesn't have to be pitched. Just don't go over factory recommendations for max lenght and height. Use factory supplied flare nuts not the ones on line set.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
While slope isn't required, there are apparently (rare but real) instances of vapor-locking reported when coiling up the excess in multiple loops standing on edge (the plane of the loop parallel to the wall) rather than flat (loop plane parallel to the floor or ground).

Coiling rather than cutting to length is pretty standard when using the DIY pre-charged linesets eg:

How-to-Install-a-Mini-Split-Remove-Electrical-Cap-1024x576.jpg
2249609.jpg

d7299fbfebdd578476ef3fe3715b0fff.jpg

^Not best practice^

-------------------------------------

Better practice:

maxresdefault.jpg

^^Vapor locking pretty much can't happen if the excess coils are set up parallel to the ground.^^

Of course the best approach is to cut the lines to length, but not always within the skill/tool set of DIYers.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Dana, very true, what I don't know is are the lines sealed up with a vacuum just before connecting them. If not too much moisture can get in the lines thought there is a dryer in the system. Bottom line for DIYer's mini-splits lines should be cut, flared and the lines placed under a vacuum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks