Minimum distance between vertical-to-horizontal / connection at an angle

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Two questions as I'm trying to figure out how to run a drain for a kitchen remodel.

I am not proficient in sketchup, so let's imagine these are actually wye connectors, even if they look like sanitary tees (if you tilt your head and squint hard). Flow is right to left.:

1) Is there a minimum horizontal distance between two vertical-to-horizontal wye connections for drain?

2) Is connecting a run at between 45 and 60 degrees allowed, as the second picture shows? I may have a problem with clearance directly above the main line, so I can't run the drain from kitchen sink to directly above the main line and then drop it down.

Thank you!

Attachments

• side.png
    side.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 341
  • angle.png
    angle.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 317
Reaction score
You can bring the drain down using a wye or combo at any angle.
How are you venting the p-trap?
Thank you, Terry. I am planning on running the vent to the same vent stack as the old location (the vertical component is literally half way between the old and new location. So, from p trap (which goes into a san tee), up through reducer into 1.5 in, up past the top line of the sink, and horizontal run going to the old vertical stack. Any concern there?

Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

The vent can go horizontal at 42" above the floor.

Thank you, Terry. sounds like I'll need to raise the vent a few inches. On the diagram you showed - is air gap fitting required? I've never seen one (but to be fair every connection I've seen was from 90-ies) - is that a new requirement?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The air gap is still being used. Sometimes on remodel, the line will be looped as high as you can get it in the cabinet if there isn't a way to add the air-gap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks