Minimum arm length for a p-trap is 3" (for 1 1/2" pipe) To me it seems impossible to slope it

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
So how do you slope the trap arm for a shower drain especially when the drain is close to the pipe (so the trap is min 3") As per the below diagram if you try to slope it using the arm segment that will compromise the glued connection between the arm and the trap as shown in this picture
I3UMi8B.png

In my case I have this. I am not sure if the part of the wye that connects to the trap arm is counted as part of the trap arm in this configuration
hNlVI8B.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
make sure the wye has slope. not impossible at all . you don't want the wye pointed down right?

Mini Me

Reaction score
as depicted it is possible but that weakens the junction between the P trap and the arm

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
To get 1/4" per ft slope over 3", the difference between the high, and low point is going to be 1/16". So, as long as that wye isn't pointed down, you'll be fine. A little gravel packed under the trap will get you more pitch than you need.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, not sure if the plumbing codes recognize this, but as I understand it the crown vent prohibition (minimum trap arm length) should only apply to dry vent takeoffs, not to a wet vent. My understanding of the reason for the the prohibition is that it is to reduce the chance that vigorous draining will fling liquid and solids up into the vent, where they could accumulate and foul the vent. Since a wet vent is washed by another fixture that seems like a non-issue.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guess it depends how pickey you or inspector is but a trap arm should have fall and a trap arm should never have back fall I think we would all agree. on a short one like that I would still like it to show a little fall at least have the bubble favoring correctly. Its pretty easy unless you glue your wye pointed down. even then you can shade the pipe with dirt or gravel and get some give in it as Helper Dave suggest

Mini Me

Reaction score
OK here are the result of this evening attempt to make room for a lower trap and bigger seal depth

Final result with the drain flush with the floor but there is room to move it higher when the shower base gets in its place
5JgQCAZ.jpeg

Here is the overall height of the assembly
eHVbj0T.png

And here I am making it easier to measure the seal depth by positioning the tape as needed

A5E8QRO.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks