Milwaukee expander tool

Users who are viewing this thread

jtech1

Reaction score
I just bought one from online company. First shipment was missing tool, one battery and 1/2" head in the case. They think someone took the tool for display model at store and put box back in inventory by accident. So they sent me another one. Everything was in the box. The tool had a battery on it and 1/2" head on it already. Does anyone know if that is how it is shipped? Or if that indicates this one was used also? I tried it stand alone out of the box and the center piston was working and the outer fingers were expanding and rotating properly. I put it in the end of Uponor 1/2" pex (no ring) and it expanded once then the piston stuck in the expanded position and it was stuck in the pex. I worked it out of the pex, but now the piston does not move at all. It makes the sounds like it is cycling through, but nothing moving. I take the 1/2" head off and still no movement on piston.

I am trying to figure out if these tools are that fragile or if this company sent me a used/bad tool.

Does anyone know if they are shipped with the battery and 1/2" head on the tool already (even though there are places for it in the case)? And if there is anything I am missing about why the piston would not be moving?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

jtech1

Reaction score
Thanks. I called them, but their customer service said they don't have anyone there who knows how they are packaged... :(

I am assuming it comes with battery attached (since there are two in kit and only slot for one in case), and 1/2" head installed (there is a slot for 1/2" head in case, but I am guessing they attach the head to tool so that the lubricated center cone is not completely exposed.

I don't want to open the tool, but an very curious what may have broken inside on the very fist try in a piece of pex.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need to charge the battery before the first use. Mine came with a battery inserted. There is a button on the side of the tool that prevents it being powered up while in the case.
The heads unthread easily. The kit comes with a tube of grease. If the metal is without lubrication, it won't power through the cycle.

uponor_manifold_pic.jpg

Last edited:

jtech1

Reaction score
You may need to charge the battery before the first use. Mine came with a battery inserted. There is a button on the side of the tool that prevents it being powered up while in the case.
The heads unthread easily. The kit comes with a tube of grease. If the metal is without lubrication, it won't power through the cycle.
Thanks, Terry. I thought that at first too. But even after charging and removing the head, the center piston does not move.

jtech1

Reaction score
Why are YOU considering taking it apart. It is apparently new, but defective, so why aren't you sending it back for a replacement?
Definitely not considering taking it apart. But curious about what happened inside and why. Put together wrong or defective part.

The place I bought it from never answers their phone. CompletePlumbingSource. They had good price. I guess I pay for it now in trying to get this taken care of. They did send this replacement right away when the first one was missing the tool in the box.

jtech1

Reaction score
Getting stuck in the pex was due to little or no grease on the head.
The manual says the grease goes on the cone while the head is off. There is nothing that says to grease the outside of the head that is in contact with the pipe.

The tool stick in the pipe because the cone never retracted. It is stuck in the out position. You are only supposed to remove from pipe once it rettacts.

Please tell me if I am wrong but I am going by the manual.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had my terminology wrong there. You're correct, the grease goes on the "cone" not the head.

I have experienced it many times, most often when the tool gets wet, or shall I say the "cone". Typically when trying to expand an existing pex line that is damp or has water in it. The "cone" and will get stuck in the pex line on the first or second expansion.

I pull it out, grease the "cone" and it works fine.

If the "piston" or "cone" or whatever you want to call it doesn't move with the head off, there is a problem with the tool.

Have you greased the "cone"?

jtech1

Reaction score
Yes. greased the cone.

I decided to return and buy from another place. Hopefully the next one I get will work. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks