Mildew inside shower handle

Users who are viewing this thread

bmcgin

Reaction score
I have a standard delta single shower handle. Inside of the plastic handle mildew is forming. I saw this about 2 years ago and replace the entire assembly.

Soon after I replaced the assembly, I began to see black mildew forming. I still haven’t done anything about it since then. Now it’s getting more and more black.

I thought replacing the cartridge would fix it. Any advice. I know I should not have let it go this long.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Mildew likes cold dark damp places....like a bathroom! The main way to avoid mildew in the bathroom is to improve the ventilation. That said, the inside of acrylic knobs is a problem area. Even if you don't have a stem leak, it will be a damp environment, and I think mold likes the plastic surface. I used to take of my PP Windsor handles twice a year to clean the inside, but bleach and other cleaners are harsh on the appearance, and I just gave up and replace the handles about once a year now!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can also throw them in the dishwasher.
I knew one lady that put her dinning room light bulbs through the dishwasher too.

bmcgin

Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a water leak or something that was pushing water up inside the handle.

If all I need to do is take it off and clean it that's great. I was wondering if I need to repalce the part that the handle screws into....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks