Mikes master bath remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_in_Cbus

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a small master bath I'm gutting and doing a full remodel (50's ranch, with full access to mechanicals in basement). Demo is complete, new subfloor ready for tile. Going Kerdi over a mud bed for the shower (curved curb for radius shower door).

I have moved the toilet from directly above the 4" cast iron stack, to approx. 9' away from stack. Stack is snapped (cleanly! whew!), and ready for dry fit of wyes for shower, sink, vent, and toilet lines. Toilet DWV will enter stack using a 90 deg street directly into into top of new stack (PVC) replacing the iron. Plenty of headroom for pitch. This stack serves this bathroom only, nothing more.

1) My question is: should I run 4" or 3" for the toilet? I have heard everything from "more is better" to "less is better". Some have said the 3" conveys solids more efficiently due to smaller radius, meaning more water per arc of pipe. This makes some sense to me. The 4" pipe is certainly more difficult to work with, but its only the one run. Is there a rule of thumb here? Both apparently meet code.

Have I missed any important information?

thanks for a great forum!
Mike

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no benefit to running 4" for a single bath. Use the 3" with a 4x3 closet bend. Make sure each of your fixtures are properly vented.

Mike_in_Cbus

Reaction score
Thanks cacher! I do need to drop below 2x10 joists before making turn, so can I just drop straight down into a 90deg, rather than a closet bend? All other venting (sink, shower stack) I'm redoing as before. The toilet run, though, is new. With a straight 9' run into vented stack, does the toilet run need its own vent?

thanks again!!!

Mike_in_Cbus

Reaction score
Thanks hj, makes sense. The how is: a straight 9' run of 3" with pitch into top of vented stack. What would determine vent/no vent in this situation? Sink and shower are vented already. No tub.

thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks