Might need a new tank AND switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
When in the basement I've been noticing my well pump short-cycling lately. It'll turn on a couple times just for a toilet flush. No symptoms noticed at the taps, though. Today I had some time so I took a good look. I noticed the pressure cut-off of my 40-60 switch is 69psi and i couldn't adust it lower.
I opened a tap and drained off all the pressure, then checked the bladder air. No pressure. No water either. Odd.

I re-pressurized to 40 psi for my now 42-69 psi system and it's running fine & not short-cycling.

But I know this is temporary.

I'm hoping the air leak was a bad seal of the Schrader valve. Time will tell.

Should I replace the fairly new switch? Water Worker tank & Square D switch were new 9/2015. Sure didn't last long compared to the previous parts that were trouble-free for 25 years.

Reach4

Reaction score
The cap on the valve should hold air, even if the Schrader valve leaked a bit.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Pretty sure the oversize cap is decorative & intended to keep the valve clean. Previous tank had a soft vinyl cap.

I'll test for a leak and maybe put a good metal cap on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I hear you about the rarity but if there's zero water on the air side wouldn't that rule out a bladder leak?
Yes, but what if there is water only in the bottom 90%? :p Unless you tipped the tank upside down, no water would come out of the Schrader valve.

I re-pressurized to 40 psi for my now 42-69 psi system and it's running fine & not short-cycling.
That is the part that indicates the diaphragm is fine.

Diaphragms do diffuse air through slowly. Your Water worker tank uses a blended EPDM/butyl diaphragm that diffuses air faster than the more-premium butyl diaphragm used in the more-premium Well-X-Trol. So maybe you add air every 2 years instead of every 10, or every 3 years instead of every 15. https://www.applerubber.com/src/pdf/section6-material-selection-guide.pdf has a table with a Gas Impermeability column heading. Butyl says E(excellent) and EPDM says F(fair).

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hear you about the rarity but if there's zero water on the air side wouldn't that rule out a bladder leak?

The tank must be 100% waterlogged to get water out the Schrader. You can take out the valve core, and turn on the pump. That would push out the air and then water will start coming out the Schrader.

Guy48065

Reaction score
The tank must be 100% waterlogged to get water out the Schrader. You can take out the valve core, and turn on the pump. That would push out the air and then water will start coming out the Schrader.
I did this as well.
Not a drop. So if I'm understanding the previous post it may be normal to lose 40psi after 3 years.
I guess this is higher maintenance than I thought.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did this as well.
Not a drop. So if I'm understanding the previous post it may be normal to lose 40psi after 3 years.
I certainly did not intend to give that impression. I meant worth topping up after a few years -- down a couple PSI maybe. I have not studied that by any means.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks