Miele Dishwasher to Air Gap adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Dianelouise

Reaction score
We are preparing to install our new Miele dishwasher. An Air Gap is required by the inspector. The question is how to connect the 7/8 dishwasher discharge hose to the 5/8" air gap. Our current approach is to use an adapter sold by Insinkerator that adapts 5/8" discharge to the 7/8" disposer inlet. This seems wrong since we are reducing the hose from 7/8 to 5/8 but we see no options.

Help.

Diane

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
Please don't take my word for it but usually you cut the end of the dishwasher discharge hose to fit the airgap. It's probably in the instructions. Or stamped on the rubber hose end saying 5/8" or 7/8" with a line separating the two values.

around 2:15 in the video it shows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Dianelouise

Reaction score
Miele is very clear. No cutting of the hose. The instructions in the manual only cover the basics. The main instruction sheet is pictures only and air gap/hose connection is not covered. They only show outlet hose attaching to the sink drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"The dishwasher is supplied with ap‐ prox. 5' 11" (1.5 m) of flexible drain hose with an internal diameter of 7/8" (22 mm)."

"The drain hose can be extended us‐ ing extensions and adapters. The drainage length must not be longer than 13' 1 1/2" (4 m) and the delivery head must not exceed 3' 3 3/8" (1 m)"

The joys of working with European dishwashers.
If the inspector insists, you may need the reducer and hope for the best.
Sometimes they allow you to loop high under the cabinet.

You might have him read these instructions though.
The machine comes equipped with a built-in non-return valve on the dis‐ charge side to prevent waste water from flowing back into the dishwash‐ er

Dianelouise

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

In the written Miele instructions they do recommend but not insist on the high loop. I have created a "reducer" setup by reversing the 5/8 to 7/8 adapter and using a 1" x 1" barbed connector. This should be me passed the inspection unless someone has a better suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks