Michigan well replacement troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

Adolphus

Reaction score
Everyone needs to educate themselves and make up their own mind. Trust in what big corporations spend millions advertising or that the government is here to help you is just crazy. But I must admit, I was once naïve like that as well. I always thought if you built a better mousetrap, people would beat a path to your door. But what I found out was that if you build a mousetrap that works so well it could make mice extinct, the industry will do everything they can to discredit you and put you out of business, as there is a LOT of money in mousetraps.

I was disillusioned like everyone else. I spent many years going to pump schools and manufacturers training trying to learn the best way to control and make pumps last. But when offered a cure for pump cancer, the pump manufacturers wanted nothing to do with it. People in the industry who had been my friends for years suddenly would no longer look me in the eye, return my calls, or explain to me what happened. It took me several years to find out the CSV had been blacklisted as a "disruptive product". I didn't even know what a "disruptive product" or "planned obsolescence" was. I would have never believed every product we purchase is designed to wear out in a predictable period of time. But it is! Now I know that people who believe big corporations make and advertise products that are the best for the consumer, are just as gullible as I was. Big corporations do what is best for their bottom line, which means sticking it to the consumer as much as possible.

My customers have already tried what the manufacturers recommend. They have tried big pressure tanks, variable speed pumps, and all the gizmos and gadgets advertised on the market. When they get tired being out of water and continually paying for all those gizmos that don't last long, they find me. After adding an inexpensive Cycle Stop Valve and realizing all their problems have gone away, most are angry that pump manufacturers lied to them and did not offer a solution that works. What manufacturers "recommend" is something that will last just past the warranty period on average. Tanks are sized, and pumps are made to last an average of 7 years, no more. While many lighted used pumps will last much longer, most pumps are cycled to death and don't last long, as the overall average is almost exactly 7 years.

Again, you are not obligated to take the advice of someone who has more experience than all manufacturers combined. If you don't want an inexpensive and simple little product that is guaranteed to make your pump last longer, you are on the right track. If you want to promote big businesses and big government, just keep your head in the sand and continue to do what they recommend. But if you want your pump to last forever and deliver strong constant pressure to the house, listen to the people who have one and get a Cycle Stop Valve for yourself.
I just got my CSV125-1 Cycle Stop Valve60 psi. My new 1hp pump installation is working perfect but when I exceed my pressure tank volume which is measly, the pump cycles for only about 10 secs. Then, I get a surge, then diminishing pressure down to 50. My pressure switch is set at 52-72 My pressure tank at 50. I have a 35' x 4" well which I can easily empty in about 6 minutes at full discharge through a 1.25 pipe. I have to stay at 60 lb constant pressure to keep the well from emptying and the pump from cycling. There would not be enough pressure tanks for what I'm demanding from this system.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll be installing it and a new set of sediment/carbon filters as soon as it shows up.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks. Yeah you can't put on enough tanks to stop the cycling. Let us know how it works after adding the CSV. It is not the 60 PSI constant that will keep you from emptying the well. The 60 PSI constant will let you run as little as 2 GPM without the pump getting to 72 and turning off, which will keep the pump from cycling while not pumping the well dry.

Adolphus

Reaction score
Will keep you posted. Thanks to all and thanks for this priceless forum. You guys kept me going through a project I thought was not possible for me to DIY.

Adolphus

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah you can't put on enough tanks to stop the cycling. Let us know how it works after adding the CSV. It is not the 60 PSI constant that will keep you from emptying the well. The 60 PSI constant will let you run as little as 2 GPM without the pump getting to 72 and turning off, which will keep the pump from cycling while not pumping the well dry.
Received it and set it aside for the holiday :D Hope you all had a great one.
Is there any problem with installing a spin down sediment filter before the CSV?
It will be installed inside. I have a pump that runs on a humidifier/dehumidifier all the time and the basement is not what you would call a dry basement by any standards yet.
Also, the red ring became loose while I was handling the CSV, what's it's purpose?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The red ring being tight is only important when hanging the CSV125 in the well, as it makes it hold more weight. Just hand tight as it has no other purpose. Your 1/2 HP pump can build 100-120 PSI before the CSV. So, you can put a filter before the CSV if it is rated for more pressure than that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks