Mfg says don't use PEX between valve and tub spout - but how about valve and shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
Mfg says you can PEX anywhere accept valve and tub spout which I understand but mfg does not say anything about valve and shower head
But someone said u should not use PEX there either...

What experts here think?

Also, is it possible that when installing bathtub - I might have put overflow cover(that round with 2 screws) just off the center?
because when I measure the center of this overflow cover - it comes like 15" from the edge of tub but tub is 29" wide
so it should be 14 1/2 - so is it possible that I might have put it like half inch off - or it can not go anywhere but always in center?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
No PEX from the valve to a diverter tub spout because the decreased volume of the tubing/fittings could cause enough pressure to also send water out of the shower head simultaneously. Never done it so I can't say definitively.

Measurements for center lines in tubs are wonky. The overflow and drain are not centered on the overall width of the tub from the nailing flange to the front apron, but based on the width of the inside walls of the tub itself. There is generally enough play in the overflow to fudge it over and tighten it up where it wants to be centered over the overflow. I prefer to silicone that backside gasket to the tub once its set in place.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Pex to just shower head is no problem.

Curiousv

Reaction score
No pex from the valve to a diverter tub spout because the decreased volume of the tubing/fittings could cause enough pressure to also send water out of the shower head simultaneously. Never done it so I can't say definitively.

Measurements for center lines in tubs are wonky. The overflow and drain are not centered on the overall width of the tub from the nailing flange to the front apron, but based on the width of the inside walls of the tub itself. There is generally enough play in the overflow to fudge it over and tighten it up where it wants to be centered over the overflow. I prefer to silicone that backside gasket to the tub once its set in place.
You did not say if we can use pex from valve to shower head?
Also u said overflow is not centers to overall width in my case 29" but they are centered from inside walls ? so if I a measure from front apron to center -it will give me wrong measurement correct?
also u said enough play - so even though I have used silicone to backside gasket - I should still try to move it so it comes in center?
ie. 14.1/2"?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You did not say if we can use pex from valve to shower head?
Yes, you can install pex from your shower valve to your shower head so long as it doesn't go to the tub spout such as a twin ell.
Also u said overflow is not centers to overall width in my case 29" but they are centered from inside walls ? so if I a measure from front apron to center -it will give me wrong measurement correct?
I can't say definitively what your measurements will be. Any tub can be different from any other tub. The only way to get a 100% accurate measurement of the centerline of your tub overflow location is to measure from the flange on the back side to the center of the overflow hole. That is the static point on a tub that measurements are taken from in order to install the waste and overflow before setting the tub. Since the flange sets against the framing you can measure from the framing the same distance to get an accurate location.
also u said enough play - so even though I have used silicone to backside gasket - I should still try to move it so it comes in center?
ie. 14.1/2"?
It depends on why you feel you need to move the overflow. The only reason you Need to move it to exactly into the center is if its leaking. Otherwise its a matter of opinion or aesthetics. If you Want to move it to look a certain way you can. But if it leaks you must move it.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The info provided by the manufacturer should tell you the measurement from the wall to center of drain. The drain will be lined up with the overflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks