Method of removing lead joint from cast iron hub

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
2 Inch would be better on a kitchen sink for sure, but. But is it worth the de-leading job might be a tough call. If you break that cast iron fitting trying to do it, you are in for a rough ride.
The hub with donut will be superior, because galvanized deteriorates.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
Why the scare stories?
That's what I say. Be encouraging, helpful. I'm looking for advise, nothing else. The only challenge - even if minor - is fitting the 8 foot PVC pipe into the donut. I'll try tapering the end a bit and apply a bit of lube.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's what I say. Be encouraging, helpful. I'm looking for advise, nothing else. The only challenge - even if minor - is fitting the 8 foot PVC pipe into the donut. I'll try tapering the end a bit and apply a bit of lube.
To be fair, there are scenarios we see where the correct advise is to Run.. Run Away. But this isn't one of them.

I would insert a much shorter length of pipe in first. Something easier to handle (2 feet) where you can insert a cleanout / test fitting and extend the rest of the way once the donut is in place.

Always buy the regular and the heavy duty versions

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To be fair, there are scenarios we see where the correct advise is to Run.. Run Away. But this isn't one of them.

I would insert a much shorter length of pipe in first. Something easier to handle (2 feet) where you can insert a cleanout / test fitting and extend the rest of the way once the donut is in place.

Yes, if you're adding the cleanout anyway, that would be a short piece of pipe. It does need the cleanout.
And always pick up both size donuts. No sense making two trips. Mentally it's always nice to know you have the right stuff on hand.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score

Cleanout is part of the hub as shown in the pic. I get the idea though. A short length to get it seated in the donut. Then use a PVC union to join the remainder (6+ feet) from basement up to the sink upstairs. Thanks.

galv-pipe-resized.jpg

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, if you're adding the cleanout anyway, that would be a short piece of pipe. It does need the cleanout.
And always pick up both size donuts. No sense making two trips. Mentally it's always nice to know you have the right stuff on hand.
Good call. However, I measured appox 1.9 inch OD on the galv pipe. And from what I can determine, the ID of the hub is about 3 inches. So that then would be a 2 inch to 3 inch donut?

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
Pick up several then, and return what you don't use.
Hi Terry, I would do that if there were more of a variety. Fernco's web site is NOT very helpful in order to determine a specific size. The ID of the hub is 3.160, the OD of the galvanized pipe is 1.9. Yes I used calipers. Fernco claims you need to be specific to with 1/32" There doesn't appear to be a way to get that specific of a donut. I ordered a P33U-205. Sure the inner hole is workable with beveling the PVC, use of soap. I am striking out on the OD of the donut for that size of hub. Local plumbing supply houses are not much help. Ferguson will "order" what you want. What model do I tell them though. Sorry for the long winded response.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah.. They're a bit complicated. But I think you just need these 2 to cover your bases. One is thicker than the other to make up for a larger diameter hub. Some times if we're in between, we will trim some of the ribs. Some times we use Hercules Griiiip if I feel the seal isn't super tight.

22UX-205 and 22U-205

I just about punched some kid in the face at Ferguson the other day trying to order something at the will call desk and he wouldn't enter my order unless i had a product number. The part I wanted was Right in front of him...

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah.. They're a bit complicated. But I think you just need these 2 to cover your bases. One is thicker than the other to make up for a larger diameter hub. Some times if we're in between, we will trim some of the ribs. Some times we use Hercules Griiiip if I feel the seal isn't super tight.

22UX-205 and 22U-205

I just about punched some kid in the face at Ferguson the other day trying to order something at the will call desk and he wouldn't enter my order unless i had a product number. The part I wanted was Right in front of him...
Thanks for the response. I cannot believe how difficult this is becoming just to accommodate a hub ID of 3.16 and insert schedule 40 2 inch PVC which is believe is 2.375 OD Given those two suggestions, I don't think they are large enough for the hub
galv-pipe-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks