metering

Users who are viewing this thread

jclark138

Reaction score
What I have, is a need to renew a meter in a 3" line, to satisfiy local code among other reasons ( it would be a good thing to have regardless of code)
Due to the substantial price difference between a 2" meter and a 3" meter, I would like to reduce pipe size ( staying with the 5 diameters pre- and 10 diameters post meter) to install the less costly unit. What do I need to calculate to see if it'll work? GPM, pressure, all of the above? It is feeding a 600'long, 30year-old galvinized pipe , from a 20K gallon storage tank, and the placement would be near the tank end.
Thank you very much, Jeff

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this is public water supply, then yes the meter capacity fee will be quite less on a 2" than a 3". Base on your long run, you do need to determine GPM usage to size the outgoing pipe and minimize velocity and loss.

You would need the specs on the meters to see if a 2" meter is capable to deliver the total GPM you need.

From a USA Bluebook catalog, I find this data:

2" meter..... 2 to 160 GPM range, approx. 80 GPM max continuous
3" meter 2 to 650 GPM range, approx. 325 GPM max continuous

jclark138

Reaction score
Thanks. You have me pointed in the right direction. Our system is a surface water source, and a new filtration system. The new system has a meter,and the one I am refering to would go in line after the storage tank. I should have looked at the book too . . . Thanks again, JC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks