Meter running with everything off

Users who are viewing this thread

Mastiff

Reaction score
I've noticed that the little triangle on my meter is constantly turning, slowly but not super slowly, even with everything off. The turn rate is constant. If I turn off the water at the house, it stops. Also, if I turn off the valve at the softener, it stops. So, must be something downstream of the softener. The house is not a mansion, so not many obvious places inside for the leak. The toilets never run.

I've read a bunch of threads along these lines, and everyone wants to blame the toilets first. If there is a leak from the tank into the bowl, wouldn't the valve open and I could hear it? We've had that in the past as the flappers went bad, but not now. Also, the little wheel at the meters runs at a constant rate.

Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
See if water is coming out of the softener drain line.

If not, turn off the supply to the WH.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the type of toilet fill valve, some do not make noises at a low flow. TO check if it's the toilets, just pop the cover on the tank and look to see if the water is at the top of the overflow tube...another telltale is if the water in the toilet tank is cold when it hasn't been flushed for awhile, since eventually it will reach room temperature but not if you're constantly adding water. The nearby sink will have colder water as well, rather than the warmer water from sitting in the supply lines for awhile. Or, just close the shutoff to the toilet(s) and see if they meter stops.

As HJ mentioned, to help isolate the leak between the hot and cold water...shut the inlet to the WH.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Also, check if the TP valve on the water heater is leaking. Do you have an irrigation system or RO filter? Double check outside hose bibbs...

Mastiff

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. While poking around following some of your suggestions, it hit me what it was. I have the line open for the swamp cooler right now and that is the source. I need to get up there though and find out why it's using so much water even when the cooler isn't running. I suspect the float valve is not closing all the way and a bunch of water is going down the overflow. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks