Metal or plastic drain pipe + pop up

Users who are viewing this thread

NKaufman

Reaction score
Hello,
Noticed that the popup rod that connects to sink drain pipe had rusted and come off, ball still in pipe
Tried to remove the nut and not only did the nut come off, but it also stripped the thread of the pipe, the entire thing came off, see pic

So, I think I need to replace the pipe, in yellow background in pic.

Wondering if I should go with metal/metal-plated or plastic pipe
Plus should I get a plastic pop up part that comes with a nut that has wings and can be turned by hand to remove rust and risk of stripping everthing away like I did now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Sink-01.jpg
    Sink-01.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 94

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id use whatever is handy plastic is usually ok . kind of a toss up . I never really replace those parts its usually the entire pop up assembly

NKaufman

Reaction score
I meant, I'll replace the entire pop up assy of course, but should I get metal/metal-plated or plastic ones

Since I also need to replace the pipe section that had the thread stripped off, should I yet again replace with plastic or metal/metal-plated

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd say brass (w/ plated finish) or plastic. It sounds like your old one was a cheap one with die cast parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks