Metal lath in bathroom tub walls

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
Hello, I am in the middle of a bathroom reno, after I removed the tiles I have a massive amount of plaster. When I went through some of the plaster I came across metal lath.I don't see any metal studs behind the lath, am I to assume that I have to rip out all of the metal lath and install steel studs? This job is in a condo that was converted from a hotel into condos about 42 years ago.
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen metal lath over wood studs before.
There are people that still work with lath and plaster. Typicall with plasterers in their company name.
Or you could consider cutting it out and using some other form of backer.

Christoff

Reaction score
I'm cutting the lath out tomorrow Terry, and I guess I will see what is back there. If there is no wood then I will have to use steel studs to rebuild it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wear GOOD gloves and be careful...metal lath has lots of sharp edges, and can tear you up!

Without knowing all of the details, you may need to deal with fire ratings between the units, if that wall is against another unit. ANd, if it is, be careful installing anything, as pounding nails, etc., could damage tile and/ or plaster on the other side as could prying things. In those areas where you're down to the lath, you should be able to poke through and get an idea of what's there around it.

Christoff

Reaction score
Well there wasn't anything behind the walls but a small steel studs and the lath, so i had to remove the complete wall and install a metal stud wall.
bathroom-demo (1).png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, floated walls for a shower is still considered one of the best ways to get them flat, plumb, and ready for tile. It also works well with a surface applied waterproofing system, should you want to go that route.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks