Metal Garage Electrical Service

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua5438

Reaction score
Hopefully ready for inspection now. What is not visible - one completed circuit, 20A gfci outlet (all that is required per the building department), two 8ft ground rods driven flush with grade, 8ft apart and connected with a continuous #4 bare copper wire, and #4 bonding wire from main panel to steel structure.

20211024_122312.jpg
20211024_122301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua5438

Reaction score
I also changed out the ground rod lugs with the traditional oval ones. The ones I had started to deform as I tightened them. Was not impressed.

Joshua5438

Reaction score
Yes, you are required to block the conduit passing from inside to outside to prevent air movement that could cause condensation. Duct Seal is the usual product used in the conduit, applied at one end or the other. It's like modeling clay.

The neutral conductor needs white tape in both enclosures. I assume conduit protecting the grounding electrode conductor is non-metallic? If it's metallic, it needs to be bonded to the GEC at each end of the conduit.

Oh, and of course all the lug connections need to be torqued with a torque wrench/screwdriver to the torque listed in the manufacturer's instructions, and you should have the tool on hand during the inspection.

Cheers, Wayne

Passed the inspection! Thanks again for all of your help and guidance. I am sure I will be back with more as I complete the rest of the installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks