Metal detector

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I bought my son a very good metal detector, and being, I am elected to know about such things, which I don't...I need to know, if gas lines are buried deep enough, that it is impossible for him to dig one up. He is saying, they are buried 10 feet, is this true?

He isn't digging to that depth. He better not be.

So, far, my once beautiful lawn, now got about 50 holes in it, they are filled back up, but, I have my reservations on it regrowing but, he is having fun, I will cross the barren hole dilemma when I come to it, if I come to it. I am still an aspiring dad.

So far, we dug up part of a horseshoe, I think the last of the horse, since, when I dug a basil garden, I dug up 3.

We found nails, metal pieces of stuff, pennies from modern days, except for that VERY old one, he said, from 1965. And, a very interesting looking button, possibly from the big one, WW2. If anyone can tell me anything about this, that would be nice. I will describe it. It has wings, which I know is the Air Force, BUT, it also, has a set of propellars under it. Unless, that horse can fly, it is from something.

Any idea on that? Plus, remember the essence of this post, how deep are gas lines generally buried, and years, ago, did they bury them the same depth, as today.

Thank you,
Just a mom, aspiring to be a dad, lol.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think there is a standard depth...to be on the safe side, call Digsafe and have them map the pipes - then you'll know where they are. You might be able to figure it out fairly closely - just see if you can follow it from where it comes into the house.

Cookie

Reaction score
You know Jad, I actually, have a magnet on my fridge for that Digsafe. I got it from somewhere, and figured it might come in handy. There we go. I will call tomorrow, thanks for the reminder.

You might find this funny. I was talking to my younger son, the digger, and, he told me, years ago, they didn't have gas lines. I asked him, just how long ago, is he talking. " OH, about your age, " I must look old, lol. It got to be all the manly chores I do.

How long ago, did they start using gas lines, now I am just curious, and would like to inform my young son. Do you know? I am older than that penny. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, I'm older than that as well! They started to lay gas lines in the late 1800's - they didn't use it that much for heat as for lights.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas lines

1. Main gas lines are usually 42" deep.
2. Customer installed gas lines are between 12" and 24" deep, depending on the material.
3. Main gas lines are not always, and in some areas never, metal pipes.
4. If he cuts/damages one without calling the locating company, he will get a HUGE repair bill and could blow up something. And a damaged gas line will not always be apparent immediately, but eventually it will make its presence known, usually in the form of a fireball.

Cookie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I think, lol. Well, he is done with the backyard area, and, I told him, not to do the front, since, there is a meter on the side, with lines leading, who knows where. He is going to take it to the Lake, and I am sure he will be ok, there, being there are no gas lines there. He is only digging, one spade deep, the gauge on the detector, says, 2, 4, 6, or 8 inches deep. That is like planting a plant, right? A bulb? I can't understand, why they would only bury a gas line, 12 inches. My stilletoes can go deeper than that, lol.

Guess he was wrong about the 10 feet? See, why I am an aspiring dad?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If his detector picks up a metal gas line he will know because the detector will keep picking it up in a line and not a spot, the problem comes if he detects a signal from some object and in the process of digging it up hits a plastic line that happened to be near the plastic line.

He needs to be in the habit of looking for gas meters B 4 digging in residential areas. As far as gas mains he needs to know the area he is digging in and call if he thinks there is one near buy. Also dig slowly and carefully.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
He also needs to learn to cut out the top layer of grass then dig down and when finished replace the piece of grass. Like golf, replace your divots.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
detector

I can't understand, why they would only bury a gas line, 12 inches.

That is for metal gas lines installed by the homeowner or his contractor. Main utility pipes are 3' or deeper.

My stilletoes can go deeper than that, lol.

I was going to say post a picture, until I read;

See, why I am an aspiring dad?

then it became kinky.

Cookie

Reaction score
One foot is not very deep, is it? I plant plants or trees deeper than that, really. Regarding being an aspiring dad, I made him, my husband, a promise to take care of these boys, like he would had, so I am walking in his footsteps, wearing the red, stiletto's he bought me. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Cass,
I instructed young son about what you said, as well, as the others about where, how, or how not to dig. I tried calling that place about that button, but, will have to wait until, Monday. I am curious about its history, my grandpap would know, if that was german or not, for sure. Thanks for your kindly responses, and there will be no pics posted of those shoes, ha ha ha ha, Hj.

Just making a note here for you Hj, that you might see those stiletto's on the cover of my book, been tinkering with that idea, because it is a satire on being a widow, a younger widow so to speak, when my kids don't tell people I am 74; and becoming both parents, even when dealing with the big C, and how effective humor is. Since, my plate is always full, nothing more appropriate than a youngish widow, with a serving tray, toilet plunger, tool belt, and wearing those shoes.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Fischer makes a detector for metal pipe and wire, you may be able to rent one, I picked up one cheap on the auction site. Basically half of it puts a radio signal on the pipe if you have a place that it come up by the house and the other half is the radio receiver. When they use the newer plastic gas pipe they also put down a wire (tracer?) so then can put the signal on that. Digsafe is a good idea, out here we call it the Blue Stake people.

Rancher

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep, that is the button. Now, I wonder how it got there in my backyard, next to where there was a horse buried. I am not joking, lol.

Thanks Rancher, I just remembered I was supposed to call that place, I get so darned busy. Thanks again.

Just dialed that number, and they gave me a number to a Button Society, runned by one, really mean lady, lol. Wow. So, I got no where on finding out the history of it. My son and I were just wondering if that was maybe an airforce button, or a that person whose coat it was on, was an airforce pilot, etc, and the age of it. This kid takes after mom, with a love for history. History of anything and everything. I know more about the civil war than any man alive, lol.
If you come up with anything, let me know, ok? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You can buy 6 more for a few bucks on that auction site...

Item number: 170137775178

I'll check with some local old-time aviators and see if they recognize them; they look like a generic aviation button, not peculiar to any particular service or division.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Thanks Mikey. I found a company and talked with them it appears to be aviation. He is the luckiest boy and will find that rare coin, :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dig safe/blue stake

These locators usually only find the utility's line to the meters. Anything after the meter on the propery is the homeowner's responsibility and they have to contact a private locator to find those lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks