Mendota cast iron(alcove) tub install on slab floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Sammy M

Reaction score
I noticed on past discussions the need to install a ledger board for the tub when the floor was plywood. Is this still recommended for a slab floor installation?
Thanks a lot for the advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the feet on a cast iron tub are a bit too high to touch the ground.
Kohler like shims.
I don't know how that is done with three closed in sides in a remodel. Perhaps in new construction you can do that.
Regardless, the instructions call for metal shims. Where do you get those in different thicknesses?
I've been installing with a ledger board. These tubs weigh over 300 pounds, and once they drop down, they pretty much stay down.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Kohler tubs typically have feet that rest on the ground, but a ledger board is just added security. It makes sure the tub moves with expansion and contraction of the wall structure.

Sammy M

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...the odd thing about the apron side, is that the cast iron is molded in such a fashion that you cannot run a full size 2x4 ledger board across the whole length against the wall. The tub strength is obviously engineered with a triangular support in the shaping to support which is right in the way of any ledger capability at the ends. I suppose I can still put a ledger in for the tub minus a foot at either end. Have you noticed this on the new Mendota...60x 32?.....thanks again for your thoughts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks