Melting Abs

Users who are viewing this thread

leaks

Reaction score
Please if someone knows why this is happening, HELP!!!

We recently replaced our bathroom sink. Put ABS into galvanized pipe and have had to replace twice, it appears to have melted(see picture)the ABS pipe in the same place. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Attachments

• Managers bathroom sink.JPG
    Managers bathroom sink.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 393

Reach4

Reaction score
Cleaning person putting strong drain cleaner into the drain? How about a photo of the replacement piece in place and identifying where the effect is seen most... on the bottom side?

Are these pieces from the trap or what?

Somebody disposing of strong chemicals into that sink?

Last edited:

leaks

Reaction score
Please if someone knows why this is happening, HELP!!!

We recently replaced our bathroom sink. Put ABS into galvanized pipe and have had to replace twice, it appears to have melted(see picture)the ABS pipe in the same place. Any ideas on what would cause this?
Cleaning person putting strong drain cleaner into the drain? How about a photo of the replacement piece in place and identifying where the effect is seen most... on the bottom side?

Are these pieces from the trap or what?

Somebody disposing of strong chemicals into that sink?
Thanks for your response - no chemicals down the drain we have been here for 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 364

Reach4

Reaction score
img_3.jpg

Where was the melted place?

Thinking outside of the box, suppose you spray a bit of lighter colored paint on the underside of the pipe. If somebody is putting something hot under there at times? I can't imagine how that would happen accidentally. And it seems unlikely to happen intentionally.

I would expect a strong chemical to have the biggest effect at spot "B".

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Maybe some kind of heating going on where the copper pipe crosses the galvanized drain? It seems like there would be other major symptoms, though...

leaks

Reaction score
Leak is at H-I part of your diagram, where pipe goes in wall. The copper pipe on top is the cold water. No heat of any source it has been bare for 3 weeks ,that's when the second leak started at the same spot (melted part faces down and is only at the point where the two pipes meet.

Reaction score
The heat from the hot supply will soften any ABS, but other factors like water hammering can deform it. The iron rough you have will also pick up and keep any radiant heat from the hot supply.

Generally it is good practice to not have any pipes, supply and DWV, touch one another.

Your situation is easily solved by replacing that section of your hot water supply. This can be easily done with Sharkbite/PEX.

I would also remove that iron rough, and replace it with a male threaded ABS DWV fitting. I'm very surprised that wasn't done, and the banded coupler was used instead.

leaks

Reaction score
The heat from the hot supply will soften any ABS, but other factors like water hammering can deform it. The iron rough you have will also pick up and keep any radiant heat from the hot supply.

Generally it is good practice to not have any pipes, supply and DWV, touch one another.

Your situation is easily solved by replacing that section of your hot water supply. This can be easily done with Sharkbite/PEX.

I would also remove that iron rough, and replace it with a male threaded ABS DWV fitting. I'm very surprised that wasn't done, and the banded coupler was used instead.
Hot water supply is not in contact with the pipe in question.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Hot water supply is not in contact with the pipe in question.
I am thinking more of an electrical issue (bonding/stray currents) but hesitate to really say it for fear of being laughed out of town. Oh well, it won't be the first time...

leaks

Reaction score
That may be it, would changing it all back to the iron piping be the way to go? or into the wall to check for the electrical issue?

Reach4

Reaction score
That may be it, would changing it all back to the iron piping be the way to go? or into the wall to check for the electrical issue?
While the electrical current thought was good, that would have caused the heat to be generated on top of the ABS rather than the bottom. I will go with a "practical joker" with a propane torch hairdryer.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Suggest that you check that the electrical grounding system is properly connected to the cold water piping and that there is no breaks in the connection of the path to the ground like a non conducting valve. Perhaps cold water piping is touching galvanized drain and providing path.

leaks

Reaction score
While the electrical current thought was good, that would have caused the heat to be generated on top of the ABS rather than the bottom. I will go with a "practical joker" with a propane torch hairdryer.

While it would solve the issue if it were a joke, but its just my husband and myself and unless he has started some new grooming technics that cant be it.

Reach4

Reaction score
While it would solve the issue if it were a joke, but its just my husband and myself and unless he has started some new grooming technics that cant be it.
Yeah... it was a bad idea.

What is directly above that drain? Another floor?

leaks

Reaction score
Yeah... it was a bad idea.

What is directly above that drain? Another floor?
Nothing, this place is a storage facility that was built in the early 70's and was converted into an apartment for the managers, stucco walls. Do you think just going back to the galvanized piping would be best? We had no problem before we remodeled.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nothing, this place is a storage facility that was built in the early 70's and was converted into an apartment for the managers, stucco walls. Do you think just going back to the galvanized piping would be best? We had no problem before we remodeled.
I think you are saying that this is a single story building, and that the only thing above there is the roof. People don't have access to the roof, so no one can be pouring acid down the roof vent.

I am not a plumber. I am intrigued as to how this could be happening to your ABS.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How long does it last before you notice? Not that that would point to a specific cause, but it might trigger someone's thought process.

Those connectors should be torqued to within a relatively small range. They make a special torque wrench to make that easy. If it was way overtightened, eventually, it might kink like that. More of a good thing doesn't apply here.

leaks

Reaction score
How long does it last before you notice? Not that that would point to a specific cause, but it might trigger someone's thought process.

Those connectors should be torqued to within a relatively small range. They make a special torque wrench to make that easy. If it was way overtightened, eventually, it might kink like that. More of a good thing doesn't apply here.

It seems to hold up for about 3 weeks then the leaking starts.We have had to have it replaced 3 times. After the remodel we didn't notice any leaking due to the angle of the cabinet, but it must have been leaking for some time due to the amount of mold and the water damage to the cabinet. My regular plumber says he has never seen anything like this, he also thought it was some kind of chemical.

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to hold up for about 3 weeks then the leaking starts.We have had to have it replaced 3 times. After the remodel we didn't notice any leaking due to the angle of the cabinet, but it must have been leaking for some time due to the amount of mold and the water damage to the cabinet. My regular plumber says he has never seen anything like this, he also thought it was some kind of chemical.
The next time it is taken apart, I would have some wide range (3 to 12 or wider) pH paper handy to measure the moist pipe pH when it first comes out. Maybe slightly moistening the old removed fragments that you have would let you check the pH to see if the moisture becomes acid or base. That could be a clue. Some acids evaporate away, others don't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks