Melted/Burned Solenoid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Left_behind

Reaction score
hey gang,

long ago and far away, i barely remember someone telling me about a melted solenoid on a Superior/Champion automatic sprinkler actuator valve.

can someone refresh my memory so it doesn't happen to me?

i want to say the gist is:
"Never Turn Off Incoming Water with the Actuator still on the timer live" or you'll burn the solenoids.

was that the lesson?

so best to remove the solenoid while the ball valve is off? or just shut off the timer? or can you shut to volume control all the way off?

gawd my memory is goin'...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A solenoid can burn out for several reasons but not that the water was shut off. If you need to remove the solenoid, you need the water off, and to prevent any shorting back to the timer/controller, turn power off for that zone.

You can check the voltage and it can be between 18-25 volts active and as high as 29v at the transformer at idle (no zones are active). All irrigation solenoids are 24vac and when active about 24 volts should be present.

Last edited:

Left_behind

Reaction score
A solenoid can burn out for several reasons but not that the water was shut off. If you need to remove the solenoid, you need the water off, and to prevent any shorting back to the timer/controller, turn power off for that zone.

You can check the voltage and it can be between 18-25 volts active and as high as 29v at the transformer at idle (no zones are active). All irrigation solenoids are 24vac and when active about 24 volts should be present.
Hmmm. just found this video:
Solenoid Burns

kinda reinforces what i was told, but my memory is still rather foggy about it...
here's the type of actuator i'm referring to.

Screenshot 2022-04-17 172848.png

so, i'm leaning towards not leaving the black solenoid off the actuator for any length of time or it'll burn when current flows through, and/or being sure the water stays "on"...???

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks