Media Panel Height

Users who are viewing this thread

cybervex

Reaction score
Is there a minimum distance from the floor that my media panel has to be mounted? I have a 42" Leviton Structured Media Panel which has ended up not being enough space. The current panel is 36" off the floor. I would like to add another 14" panel below the current panel to house the cable modem and internet phone box. The bottom of the 14" panel would be about 12" off the floor. Is this legal?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Put it on the ceiling if you want to, there is no "legal" regulation. Just don't put it so high you get a stiff neck looking up at it.

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor

cybervex

Reaction score
240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor

I am more concerned with the MINIMUM distance from the floor. Not sure what constitutes a 'overcurrent' device, but this will all be low voltage as in cable splitter and patch blocks.

I have attached a pic ( phone does not take very good pics ) I will take a better pic this evening

Attachments

• IMAGE_006b.jpg
    IMAGE_006b.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
There is no minimum hight. You can mount it flush with the floor if that is what you want but no fuse or circuit breaker can be higher than 6 feet 7 inches off finish floor.

How do you plan on getting from the top panel down? As the picture shows a conduit from the bottom of the panel going down.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
There is no minimum hight. You can mount it flush with the floor if that is what you want but no fuse or circuit breaker can be higher than 6 feet 7 inches off finish floor.

How do you plan on getting from the top panel down? As the picture shows a conduit from the bottom of the panel going down.

This panel is for low voltage only Mike...

le-smc.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks