Media mixing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ndx

Reaction score
I'm sure that our forum guru dittohead will have answer...

Is layering media acceptable, like GAC with KDF55/88 ?

Does it make sense?, or should it get separate tank... but maybe on city water chloramines... it would be better to get 2 x 12 x 52 with Catalytic Carbon to improve quality ?

Thx

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not the guru but would like to add my thoughts. KDF is very heavy therefore would sink to the bottom of the tank and the carbon on top. The purpose of the KDF 55 would be to extend the life of the carbon. Under my theory, this would not be the case since the KDF would be on bottom. The do make a cartridge for KDF so water pass through it first then on to the carbon.

Reactions: Ndx

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Don't let Mialynette fool you. His knowledge of water treatment is exceptional and his years of experience working the field are always appreciated. I have sent many customers his way, all of them call me back thanking me for sending them to someone who is actually nice and knowledgeable!

Mixing medias is a common practice but it requires a strong understanding of each medias capabilities and considerable testing to be done successfully. For the most part, we do not recommend mixing medias unless they are within certain specs and the customers are usually given the 2 minute explanation of the mixed medias capabilities or lack thereof. KDF doe not mix with any traditional medias well. It falls to the bottom, clumps up into a ball, and is basically unusable. When KDF55 is done on its own and has adequate backwash rates, it is an exceptional media that lasts for many years.

I dont want to give away too many secrets as we have spent too many years testing and gaining an understanding of media blends for larger applications, but simply put, mixed bed systems are mainly just for marketing purposes and sometimes lose a lot of their function due to poor blends.

If you want to do KDF, the media guard chamber systems is an exceptional way to get this media to work in an economical way for regular residential applications.

Reactions: Ndx

Ndx

Reaction score
Thank you guys !

I'm glad to hear ... that Media Guard with KDF55 is a good product ... actually made in Canada too !
I did read some negative results .. but I will trust you and I will request to have it added in to my carbon tank !

Anyone else has experience with it

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The media guard has many major problems when it is not applied correctly or set up from the distributor properly, which unfortunately is more often than not. Great care must be taken when sizing the backwash flow rate of the system as it is sized to the media guard, not the GAC or softening resin. The water temperature must also be carefully considered. Proper backwashing of the media guard is critical for its longevity and performance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks