Mechanical Room inside Bathroom Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Good morning! I’m working on a renovation of an old place and am struggling with a couple aspects pertaining to code and location of electrical panel. While I understand the clearance/space requirements, it is unclear to me if I can create a mechanical room (enclosed, with door) inside of a bathroom.

I have a room that contains the electrical panel, but I would like to convert it into a bathroom (I'm struggling with adding image to post). I’d like to carve out a sub-room, as a mechanical room, containing the panel. It will NOT be used for storage. Here are my basic questions:

1) Understanding the AHJ will ultimately decide (I am waiting on response), does code allow a mechanical room accessible through a bathroom?

2) If I add a tankless heater to this mechanical room, on an adjacent wall, do I need to widen the room to 30” + heater depth? Room depth will remain 36” min.

3) At floor level, will the same 30” rule apply for a drain pan, or can it slightly impose on 30”, as long as it doesn’t interfere with panel work?

Thank you for taking the time to consider this! Neil

Attachments

• BathMech.JPG
    BathMech.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 319

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Thanks HJ! If I created the plumbing and water heater closet off the main hallway, could the electrical panel go in an isolated room within the bathroom, as depicted? Thanks, Neil

Mikha'el

Reaction score
If I created the plumbing and water heater closet off the main hallway, could the electrical panel go in an isolated room within the bathroom, as depicted?
The panel would probably be ok, assuming you can maintain the working clearances you alluded to - I believe it's 36" in front, 30" wide overall and 78" above floor.
Not sure how the water heater fits in that scenario... didn't say if it is gas or electric.

Funny thing is - my office (commercial electrical contractor) has a panel board in one of the restrooms... (prior tenant work) o_O

Ntcarson

Reaction score
HJ was correct - it is a NG heater. I'll let you know if the city inspector responds to me. Thanks, Neil

Mikha'el

Reaction score
HJ was correct - it is a NG heater. I'll let you know if the city inspector responds to me. Thanks, Neil
As far as I know there's no prohibition on gas water heaters sharing a room with a panel, you just need the working clearance.
I'm assuming you have the door type and ventilation sorted out.

1) Understanding the AHJ will ultimately decide (I am waiting on response), does code allow a mechanical room accessible through a bathroom? SHOULD BE FINE, ONLY CONCERN IS WORKING CLEARANCE AT THE PANEL

2) If I add a tankless heater to this mechanical room, on an adjacent wall, do I need to widen the room to 30” + heater depth? Room depth will remain 36” min. YES

3) At floor level, will the same 30” rule apply for a drain pan, or can it slightly impose on 30”, as long as it doesn’t interfere with panel work? HMMM... PROBABLY OK, AHJ CALL

Last edited:

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Thanks mikha'el - It is a direct vent heater and, based on what HJ said, it cannot be in a room attached to a bathroom, so that would rule out colocation even if the panel is okay in that room. I can make an isolated closet for the heater without too much issue. Now I just need to find out if I can keep the panel in it's current location, enclosed in a room, accessible only through the bathroom.

Mikha'el

Reaction score
Thanks mikha'el - It is a direct vent heater and, based on what HJ said, it cannot be in a room attached to a bathroom, so that would rule out colocation even if the panel is okay in that room. I can make an isolated closet for the heater without too much issue. Now I just need to find out if I can keep the panel in it's current location, enclosed in a room, accessible only through the bathroom.
Wondering if an exterior/weatherstripped/self-closing door would be satisfy "sealed off." No idea.

But I can't imagine there's any issue with the panel room accessed through the bathroom. Unless your local code has some oddball amendment.

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Based on my limited knowledge, lots of research, and your helpful hints (thank you!), the attached is what I'd like to propose as a compliant solution. Any critiques or thoughts? Thank you! Neil

Attachments

• MechinBathroom.JPG
    MechinBathroom.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 389

Ntcarson

Reaction score
FWIW, I bounced off the city electrical inspector and he had no issue with the through bathroom access, since it will be a room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks