MC Cable fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua5438

Reaction score
I know this will likely be a personal preference but I would like to know what your go to is for MC Connectors. I am looking at the Arlington SG38 and the Arlington SG38AST. I really do not want the press in connector where it makes it near impossible to remove the MC wire as I am sure I will make changes down the road. I like the SG38 as you can easily remove the connector from the wire and the box. The reason I am considering the SG38AST is the fact that it has the insulator. Can I use the red head insulators in the SG38? I know I can install them into the end of the MC wire but not sure if I can install it in the end of the SG38 instead? Any other suggestions on what you think is better is welcome also.

SG38.PNG
SG38AST.PNG

Joshua5438

Reaction score
One other question. This is the box I intend to use (4" square x 2 1/8" deep). I will be mounting them to the side of a 2.5" square metal stud. Are these acceptable? Do I have better options? I want to keep them side mounted and not back mounted.

EDIT - I just realized that the box I attached has built in clamps for MC cable. I had no idea they made those. Is that a better option than the external connectors?

4 x 2.125.PNG

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's all personal preference as they all have the UL approval stamped into the metal. I've used the ast type for NMC when working with old work and metal boxes. Sometimes you cannot get on the outside of the box and be able to tighten down the star nut on the other type. I'll fish the NMC down the wall with the ast attached. As I get the wires inside the box then you just need to pull on them until the connector snaps in. It isn't all that hard to remove the snap in type connector.

AlfredeNeuman

Reaction score
MC cable doesn't require insulators of any kind. The mylar jacket is enough.
(I contacted tech support at Southwire and they say the attached bag of redhead insulators with every roll was just "extra insurance".)
The only cable that requires them is AC cable because of the paper jacket

Joshua5438

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if one type held better or not. The boxes with the built in clamps seem to be hard to source in 2 1/8" deep. I prefer the deeper boxes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks