Maximum in-residence supply pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

John Shott

Reaction score
I recently moved into a brand new senior living facility in New Mexico that consists of about 8 individual buildings connected with walkways with a maximum of three levels totaling 67 units. Based on my in-refrigerator water dispenser, we have very high water pressure. Attaching a pressure gauge to the drain port of my water heater shows a pressure of between 105 and 115 PSIG depending on time of day, but I have not seen LESS than 105 PSIG.

It is my understanding that UPC 608.2 specifies a maximum in-residence supply pressure of 80 PSIG and that a supply pressure greater than that requires a PRV (and a strainer if the incoming line is less that 1.5") to reduce the pressure to 80 PSIG or less.

Management of our facility insists that I am wrong and that pressures of up to 125 PSIG are legal. I don't know whether that information is coming from the GC or the plumbing subcontractor, but I think that they are trying to confuse me by quoting the maximum legal water utility distribution pressure AT THE METER ... which is 125 PSIG at the meter in New Mexico.

Is there any other chapter of UPC that would "override" the 80 PSIG limit specified in UPC 608.2 and legally allow pressures as high as I am seeing?

I don't really care that my water dispenser splashes a bit, but I AM worried that over time this very high water pressure will rupture washing machine and dishwasher supply hoses either in my unit or the units above me and cause serious damage and flooding.

Thank you for your consideration and advise.

John

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct about 80 psi being the high limit. I only know UPC.
High pressure is very tough on a litany of plumbing parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks