Maximum hole size in stud

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian2147

Reaction score
What’s the maximum size Bore a hole in a stud, load and non bearing wall. The maximum hole size in a top plate, what about a window header. I’ve browsed around and gotten a few numbers. Would like to hear what is said hear before I move forward.

Kitchen remodel, sink is basically staying in the same spot, new cabinets, floor, window etc.. The new window Is about 55 inch’s in length, what’s there now is two windows with the vent going between them through the header and out the roof. Gonna have to move the vent about 2-3 feet to the left and bore through the header and top plates and drill through a few studs for the drain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll try to post more pics

Attachments

• C2AA48EC-0AEC-444E-85BF-D3625AD08E52.jpeg
    C2AA48EC-0AEC-444E-85BF-D3625AD08E52.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 198

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
An online search for "notching and boring guide" will turn up a copy of the Western Wood Products Association's guide, the contents of which may be subject to interpretation by your local AHJ - but a good resource nevertheless. The Family Handyman magazine has an article available on their Web site which gives an abbreviated version of the n&b guide.

Djarchow

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks