Maximum GPM needed

Users who are viewing this thread

neosastan

Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading our water system. We are a summer camp and over the past couple of years we have put in new soccer fields and program areas. We have a 10K gallon UST on a hill above the fields. I just installed 1,200 ft. of 1.25" to feed each of the 4 program areas with drinking fountains and a hose bib. At the end of the 1,200ft. run is a new 3 stall restroom with sinks. Next year, we will be building a six seater restroom at about 600 ft. (mid-way point). My plan is:
1. Install a pump at the UST and have a flooded suction.
2. Use a 20 gallon pressure tank at the pump and another at the distant restroom.

My concerns are:
1. What is the right type of pump for this application?
I think I narrowed this down to 2.
Goulds 2MC1D1F0 centrifigal https://www.pumpcatalog.com/goulds/...16-stainless-steel-impellers-series/2mc1d1f0/

or
https://www.pumpcatalog.com/goulds/gb-booster-pump-series/33gbc15/

2. Would an off the shelf pressure tank tee significantly reduce my volume? Even the 1.25 tees only have a 3/4" bore.

Thanks guys for any advice you can give..

Reach4

Reaction score
2. Would an off the shelf pressure tank tee significantly reduce my volume? Even the 1.25 tees only have a 3/4" bore.
That would be very surprising to me if that were true. Care to say why you think that?
cicunioncross-16930.jpg

neosastan

Reaction score
That would be very surprising to me if that were true. Care to say why you think that?
cicunioncross-16930.jpg
The Ones I looked at in the big box stores were either for 1 inch internal thread and 1.25 inch external. When you looked down inside there was a lip inside at the bottom of the threads that reduced the passage to what looked like about .75

Reach4

Reaction score
The Ones I looked at in the big box stores were either for 1 inch internal thread and 1.25 inch external. When you looked down inside there was a lip inside at the bottom of the threads that reduced the passage to what looked like about .75
Interesting. Note that 1 inch internal is a lot bigger than 1 inch. 1 inch pipe is 1.315 OD. Could it be the internal path stepped down to 1 inch?

neosastan

Reaction score
Interesting. Note that 1 inch internal is a lot bigger than 1 inch. 1 inch pipe is 1.315 OD. Could it be the internal path stepped down to 1 inch?
Could be..Maybe I am over thinking it. If my pump has an 1.25 discharge and my poly is 1.25 what effect would this tee have on the system. Would it be so minimal it's nothing to worry about.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can push a lot of water through a short length of small pipe. Those are two very different pumps. If the storage tank is on a hill, you may not need much pressure. But you didn't say how much pressure or volume you are needing? Using the 33gbc15 as an example, it will do 30 GPM at 65 PSI. But I don't think you will need that kind of pressure pumping down hill?

With so many varied uses a Cycle Stop Valve would be very beneficial for that system. A 20 gallon pressure tank would be plenty large enough when using a CSV. but without a CSV a 20 gallon pressure tank that only holds 5 gallons of water is not going to cut it. Without a CSV I would use at least one of the 119 gallon size pressure tanks, as it will hold 30 gallons of water. Two of those 119 gallon tanks would be better, but the CSV and 20 gallon tank would be best.

And I would not use a regular tank tee at 30 GPM.

neosastan

Reaction score
The UST supplies the rest of the camp that is down at the bottom of the hill approximately 100ft elevation change. The new fields only have an elevation change of around 25 ft. I will have some pressure, but not enough. I calculated That I will need around 30gpm total and at least 20 psi at that distant restroom. That is why I was considering the centrifugal pump because it can supply a large volume of water and add the extra pressure I would need. What would you suggest to use if not a regular tank tee? I was thinking about building my own if I could find the tees with the side 1/8" ports.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is one way to do it. This has a 2" line running past the tank. However, if this is just irrigation only, why not just use a pump start relay from the irrigation controller so you won't need a tank, pressure switch, or anything other than a check valve?
P1010032.JPG

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a pressure tank and pressure switch you have to match every zone to the output volume of the pump to prevent the pump from being cycled to death.

neosastan

Reaction score
This is for restrooms and drinking fountains... During the heat of summer we have been known to set up several sprinklers to cool the kids down.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This is for restrooms and drinking fountains... During the heat of summer we have been known to set up several sprinklers to cool the kids down.

Sorry I forgot that part. Then a Cycle Stop Valve would be a good idea. You could use the CSV with a 20 gallon tank, but without the CSV you really need a 119 gallon tank and two would be better. But still won't work as good as the CSV. Actually the picture I poster would be exactly what you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks