Maximum gap for coupling two DWV pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Just put on my new 3" drain coupling to an existing 3" line in the wall (blind mate, partially in the wall plate below) to accept toilet and shower lines in the bathroom remodel.

To accomplish this, I had to cut the pipe in the basement, push it up a couple inches, put on the new sanitary fitting and then lowered it back into the floor. It's as low as it can go to accommodate slope and blocking obstacles. However the gap in the basement pipe is exactly 1". I have a 3" coupler and was trying to see if that was too big a gap to cover.

Worst case, I go get a second coupler and splice in a 1' section, but I'd rather avoid that if I can (store isn't open until Monday and ABS is pretty rare around here).

Advice appreciated!

Anthony

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. If the spacing between the inside edges of the worm gear straps was 1.5 inches or more and I could center the gap, I would do it.

If you needed some pipe to fill a gap, and PVC was more available in your area, I would use PVC. PVC is used predominately some places, and ABS in others. ABS is popular in the US west.

Reaction score
I got it down to around 3/4" and that was as far as the fittings would seat (new fittings, old pipe). I glued it together and it is plenty sturdy. If there ever is a problem it's in the basement and easily accessible.

Finished the whole 3" stack. Have to do supplies before I can do the final drain rough ins, but so far so good.

How do you get ABS cement off your hands?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. After a couple of days the glue will start falling off. Hot water and soap will help.
2. For a dirty job like this, next time wear gloves.

Reaction score
Yep, didn't even take 2 days. Mostly off now.

I didn't have a problem with the smaller pipes. It was just that 3" vertical that made a mess.

Definitely gloves next time :) Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks