Max length of a tailpiece?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In order to mate up the sink trap with the drain line, I need to go down about 8" more than the tailpiece that came with the faucet. Is it okay to extend it that 8" or so before the trap, or do I have to do it after the trap?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A couple of elbows...I seemed to remember that there was a limitation on how long the tailpiece could be, but didn't remember the numbers. Seems like 8" isn't enough to worry you, so that's the way I'll go as it will be easier and neater.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tailpiece

There is a limit, but you do not have room to exceed it inside that cabinet. You definitely cannot use two elbows after the trap to raise the connection.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I was able to do it with a street 45 with the tailpiece extension. Thanks....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

Now you've go me curious. Where did the street 45 go? If you used it with the extension, how did you do it with only one 45? Or was the 45 to offset the pipe from the wall to line the trap up?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The drain line in the wall was not centered on the tailpiece. It was not off enough to use one of the offset pipes with two opposing 45's, at least in the depth that I had. So, I got the outlet of the trap with its accompanying 90 degree to line up with the height of the drain line coming out of the wall, and was able to make the connection with a 45 on that pipe.

RedyTempAnimated.gif

One other question: At the same time, I installed a RedyTemp hot water recirculation system. It starts and runs quietly as you'd expect from this type of pump, but does a 1-2 second sort of rattle when it turns off. I'm going to query the manufacturer, but do you have any thoughts? BTW, it took all of about 3-minutes to install and seems to work fine. It has an adjustment on the front to set the turn-off point that I may tweak over the next few days. Now, instead of running the shower for over a minute to get hot water in the morning, it takes less than 5-seconds. Getting hot water at the sink to wash your hands took even longer, now its warm almost immediately, and hot shortly after. Not much warm water in the cold line, either (no separate return line in this retrofit).

Last edited by a moderator:

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
24"

The maximum length of a tailpiece is 24". It is interesting about the good performance you are getting from your 3 minute installation of the Redi-temp. I may try it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks