Matching Sink to Drain size?

Users who are viewing this thread

MsPerkyville

Reaction score
Hi, forgive this rather simple question. I really admire this site and have referenced it for many, many years.
I have picked out new faucet with associated matching pop up drain for a bathroom remodel. Now I have to pick out the sink. The pop up drain is 1-1/4. Do I need to limit my sink choices to ones that have a waste hole sized 1-1/4 so that there’s not a problem in fit? I just can’t seem to find the answer anywhere else. TIA!

Reach4

Reaction score
That is super common. No need to worry about that. Bathroom sinks (lavatories) with 1.5 inch drains are the exception.

The change from 1.25 to 1.5 can happen a the input to the 1.5 inch trap, or it can be at a 1.5 inch trap adapter at the wall with the right washer to adapt to 1.25, or you could even have a 1.25 inch trap adapter fitting at the wall.

If you want to think ahead, be concerned that a bathroom sink cabinet with drawers may complicate things a lot, and one that hangs on the wall may complicate things. If you really want to create misery, go for a pedestal sink.

Last edited:

MsPerkyville

Reaction score
That is super common. No need to worry about that. Bathroom sinks (lavatories) with 1.5 inch drains are the exception.

The change from 1.25 to 1.5 can happen a the input to the 1.5 inch trap, or it can be at a 1.25 trap adapter fitting at the wall.

If you want to think ahead, be concerned that a bathroom sink cabinet with drawers may complicate things a lot, and one that hangs on the wall may complicate things. If you really want to create misery, go for a pedestal sink.
Yep. Got the cabinet with drawers already, which is why I'm so paranoid about the sink selection. So when the sink specs say " Fits Drain Hole Size: 1-3/4", I can still use a pop-up drain sized 1-1/4 and not have difficulty in the flange placement? The hole won't be too big for the flange/gasket?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks