Master shower water pressure drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Dcritchf

Reaction score
I have a new construction home with PEX plumbing. My master shower water pressure is normal when it is turned on then drops by about 75%. The whole house water pressure is normal and this issue is isolated to this fixture. The builder’s plumbers have: changed out and flushed the hybrid water heater, installed a hot water heater filter (they believe calcium deposits are causing blockage, but only to this fixture), flushed the lines, torn out the drywall to visualize the plumbing that is above the slab. I hired 2 independent plumbers who believe there is an obstruction/kink below the slab and that the existing master shower pex should be capped off and rerouted through the attic from an alternate hot cold source. I would appreciate any thoughts or input please and thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this for a single showerhead, or multiple? What size pex is in use, and what size shower rough-in? If you take the showerhead off, turn the shower on fully, measure the volume in gpm you get out of it. For a single showerhead, if it's more than 2.5gpm, the supply line is not slowing things down. FOr a showerhead to work well, it needs more volume that it can normally flow, and all modern showerheads sold in the USA are limited to a max of 2.5gpm, so any more volume than that should be sufficient from the supply. FWIW, the pressure should be the same, the volume may not be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks