Master Cool MCP44E window unit question

Users who are viewing this thread

Ray Leseth

Reaction score
We have the subject unit, it was installed this past spring by our electric company for low income families. I want to winterize it but cannot unscrew the 4 screws that hold the back cover on. I use a phillips head screwdriver but it cannot locate the screw in the recessed hole.

It seems like there are no screws in the slots. There are tabs on the side of the cover that look like they may be holding the cover on.

Any help would be appreciated

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You may have to buy screwdriver with the right sized tip and a longer shaft, but it shouldn't be that tough. I assume you've consulted the quick assembly guide?

It's conceivable that the installer neglected to install the screws, and that it's simply resting there. Without the screws in place you would be able to push the grill/enclosure upward. It may take some force, but don't use a hammer, eh?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/009009479015_use.pdf

Here is the manual and it does show the four screw locations to remove the back guard cover for cleaning and winterization but there is no way to tell what type of head the screws are. It could be TORX head but most likely a phillips head. The slots do not look deep so a screw driver with a 4 or 5 inch shaft will work.

Ray Leseth

Reaction score
You may have to buy screwdriver with the right sized tip and a longer shaft, but it shouldn't be that tough. I assume you've consulted the quick assembly guide?

It's conceivable that the installer neglected to install the screws, and that it's simply resting there. Without the screws in place you would be able to push the grill/enclosure upward. It may take some force, but don't use a hammer, eh?

Many, many thanks for your thoughts. I tried the 3 different sized phillips head screwdrivers I have and none of them found a screw head. Was not sure how the back cover came off, but now do thanks to you. I will try to slide the cover up today and let you know how it went. Thanks again!

Ray Leseth

Reaction score
http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/009009479015_use.pdf

Here is the manual and it does show the four screw locations to remove the back guard cover for cleaning and winterization but there is no way to tell what type of head the screws are. It could be TORX head but most likely a phillips head. The slots do not look deep so a screw driver with a 4 or 5 inch shaft will work.

Many thanks for your thoughts and the manual. I am going to try and slide the cover up today to see if this works. I tried my 3 phillip heads screwdrivers and was unable to locate a screw head.

Ray Leseth

Reaction score

You were correct, the installer did not use the 4 screws. The back cover just slid up and off easily. Many thanks for this assistance it is greatly appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks