Master bathroom remodel in Oregon - venting questions

Users who are viewing this thread

jut

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Amazing forum here - so much helpful information!

I'm in the midst of a second floor bathroom remodel and moving the toilet location has caused some headaches. Can I vent my toilet through one of the lavs in my vanity by switching it to 2" piping and continuing that 2" all the way to the point in the attic where it connects with another 2" vent and penetrates the roof? The toilet would be within 6' of the lav that has the vent coming off of it. Ideally, there would be about 16" of horizontal piping involved in that wet vent (from the lav drain in the wall down to under the floor and over one joist bay to meet the water closet drain line. It is this portion that the local inspector seems to think is not acceptable.)

Secondary question - is a 45 degree toilet flange connected to a 45 degree elbow acceptable for the toilet drain connection? A closet elbow or long sweep 90 are too tall for the amount of vertical drop I have available.

Thank you very much in advance and please feel free to ask any questions about my child like description and drawing!

Bathroom layout and venting.jpg

Last edited:

jut

Reaction score
Hey Terry!

Thank you for the quick reply. Does it matter if the shower is not part of the wet vent? It's plumbed with a separate drain and has it's own 1.5" vent currently. In reading parts of the codebook and talking with others at the city there was mention of the whole bathroom needing to be wet vented?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't flat vent the shower unless it's wet vented. It must rise vertical. A flat vent can't be cleared, whereas if the lav was venting, you would snake from there.

Or you can vent everything there on the vertical.

jut

Reaction score
Hey Terry,

The shower has a standard vertical 1.5" vent in the wall that I can run the trap arm to. It would be about 3' away from the shower drain to the vent in the wall. I just wanted to make sure that it's okay to have it on its own with a traditional vent setup while the lavs wet vent the water closet?

Is the water closet 45* flange into a 45* bend acceptable as well? Thank you again!

jut

Reaction score
It's been a while, but I wanted to circle back to say thank you for this forum and everyone's help. I passed final on our master bath a few months ago. It took a loooong time, but it was done right. Inspector even asked if I was a plumber at rough in haha. Thank you again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks