Master Bath Rough In ??

Users who are viewing this thread

LadyMarq

Reaction score
I'm no artist but here is how the plumber roughed in the master bath suite.
The picture shows how the drain & venting are done at the master sink/vanity.

MasterBathLayout.JPG

Piping on top is the vent line from the shower/tub drains which runs to the right. It goes up through wall into the attic.
The piping below from left heading away is the drain lines for the double sinks. The second sink is just at the right edge of the picture as the 1.5" drain heads toward the main line.

MasterDrainVents.JPG

This pic shows the master toilet connection & the drain line heading toward the tub/shower. Sure hope no issues down the road as that is my main electrical in & panel. Ignore the pex as it will be re-done! How is the toilet being vented?

MasterToilet.jpg

Ok to tell me to scrap the whole thing & start over if necessary. Not sure I like that drain connection right at the toilet sanitary. Why clean outs instead long sweep on end when butts up to exterior wall. No one would cut hole side house to clean & sewage all over in basement...think not.

Attachments

• MasterBathLayout.JPG
    MasterBathLayout.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 378
  • MasterDrainVents.JPG
    MasterDrainVents.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 544
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't make sense of the line drawing.

Is this what the photo shows?
V is vent going up
T is from toilet
G is shower and lav drains where lave is previously vented
E is heading out toward main sewer or septic tank​

img_1.jpg

D is a sanitary tee on its side for drainage and needs to be something else.

I don't know that this V vent would be needed presuming the lav was vented enough.

I am not a plumber. I am mainly marking up your photo for potential comments. The only thing I am pretty confident of is that D is a sanitary tee not used properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not allowed to use santee fitting on the horizontal like that. I realize in parts of the country the inspectors don't care, but most places want wyes or combos if you accepting waste from above or the side.

LadyMarq

Reaction score
Thank you for marking up the photo. Very kind.

The sketch is a birds eye of the layout of the system for the master suite. There is no venting other than shown in the photo (G,A,V) which is depicted in the upper left rectangle on the drawing.

The toilet is right above the electrical panel (shown in drawing & specifics of the plumbing itself in the small picture at end). There is a clean out on the back of the fitting. Not need one there & very problematic. Due to window above the toilet & almost solid wood stud framing on that entire end wall the only place for a vent directly off the toilet would be 90 degrees turn to the long wall.

Each fixture bath, shower drop directly down into that branch line with sanitary tees.

Does the toilet need its own vent? Would changing the vent to a 2" improve anything as it is a wet vent from the shower back to the toilet or is it best to come up with different layout?

Thanks again. Totally confused in upper east TN.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the toilet need its own vent?
No. The lavatory needs a vent. That could possibly be done with an AAV.

You do need a roof vent. If the lavatory is vented with an AAV, then V provides the needed roof vent, it seems to me.

LadyMarq

Reaction score
No. The lavatory needs a vent. That could possibly be done with an AAV.

You do need a roof vent. If the lavatory is vented with an AAV, then V provides the needed roof vent, it seems to me.

Ok, let me see if understanding. All the" venting" in this house starts below the floor & heads to the roof. Seems this provides system venting but not fixture venting. I'm sure not using proper terminology. In this specific case the Master bath double lav (labeled "T") is "suppose" to be venting thru D, C V. Thus reason you saying need AAV?

If this correct understanding my kitchen, laundry room, hall bath sinks all would need AAV's or restructuring of plumbing to start vents above floor. No problem using AAV's but would prefer to not unless absolutely necessary. (Kitchen yes as exterior window wall so AAV).

Do bath tubs require venting above overflow? I think see laundry room drain/vent plans to re-do that area (plumbers agreed on that plan) but the baths have some unusual situations because of current plumbing layout complicating things & no agreement plumbers!

I so desperately would like a plumber but the ones came to look not come back & impossible even get response out of ones scheduled to come do the work. (rural area so options already quite limited). My drywall guy wanting proceed but held up plumbing. This house just dried in now 2.5 years trying fix issues. Really want plumbing corrected. Quite capable doing but just need a plan to go by. Fixing other peoples jobs always more difficult than doing right first time! The house requires no inspections but wanted to meet some level of code.

LadyMarq

Reaction score
Just to clarify/add. The venting only connects to the main to sewer drains below the floor & goes to roof. Fixtures connect direct to main except master bath tub, lavs, shower which are on branch off main. No above floor fixture vent connections anywhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks