Massachusetts Code Forum

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Plumbing and Gas Code' started by MACODEDOC, May 28, 2017.

1. MACODEDOC

MACODEDOC New Member

Massachusetts has one of the strictest codes in the country, if you have a question please ask. I am a code official in Massachusetts and would be available for a code interpretation.

2. MACODEDOC

MACODEDOC New Member

Here is a conversation I am having with a contractor.

248 CMR SECTION 10.07 ( j ) 2.

Ground joint brass connections that allow the adjustment of tubing while providing a rigid joint when made up shall not be considered a slip joint.

For example:

Stub out of the wall with 1.5" copper tubing for a lavatory sink.

Then install solder on a 1.5" copper x 1.25" compression Desanko to accept the chrome P - Trap.

Use a 1.25" Brass Compression Feral instead of the plastic one they send with the Desanko

That is a legal way to connect this sink.
    The purpose would be to use a trap adapter on the house side with a brass feral to connect a chrome p-trap.

So would a copper trap adapter with a brass feral be considered a ground joint and therefore legal on the house side of a trap.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. P Billups

P Billups New Member

5. P Billups

P Billups New Member

Hi - I am trying to build a tiny house in Mass and my head is spinning by all the requirements. I have many questions but the first one is, is it possible to take a raw lumber shell and make it code compliant, or is the lumber the wrong sort? I had originally wanted to love on my land in a yurt but that's not allowed, so now I have to come up with a permanent structure of comparable cost. I found a place in Vermont called Jamaica Cottages that sells these kits and shells but I'm not super sure they are up on all the requirements here in Mass. I'd really love some advice - if this solution won't work then I have to think of something else. Thanks, P

6. danl02026

danl02026 retired

seeing the country
    Hi- I rent in Ma. I am having trouble with hot water. I drained the hot water tank. Out came some sediment. the knob for the temp. is variable.
    My question is what is the range of water temputure. So that I can adjust it. The landlord said it was working in the temp range...
    I put a instant read thermometer and it's reading 100 degrees. I told the landlord that my dishes are even getting clean. Only because the water is not hot enough. please help me with this problem

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber

I use Rinse Aid in my dishwasher. I can't imagine washing dishes without it. It comes with new dishwashers, but seeing as you're in a rental, I would guess you need a refill.

On most gas water heaters, the A on the dial is 120 degrees. Is yours electric or gas?

8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    A tank-type WH needs to be at least 120-degrees, otherwise, it can be unsafe. Cooler temperatures (and some would argue 120 isn't high enough) can support growth of stuff that can make you sick. SOme advocate at minimum of at least 140-degrees F to kill any pathogen faster. Temperatures around 120 tend to slow any growth, but not kill it (depends on what 'it' is!). Code requires that the outlet of the WH be limited to 120-degrees, but that doesn't mean the tank itself can't be hotter. Many places require the outlet of a WH to have a tempering valve to restrict the maximum temperature to 120-degrees, unless it is restricted to things like a dishwasher or the washing machine. The idea is that water hotter than 120-degrees is a hazard, since it can cause scalding, especially on young or old, whose skin is thinner, and elicit a fall from being say in a shower, and trying to jerk away from the excessively hot water. People don't normally operate either the DW or WM while open, so higher temp supply is allowed there. FWIW, my WM can be set to heat the water if you want it super hot, and is a common feature on many sold outside of the US. My DW can heat the water, too.

A DW that does not have the capability to heat the incoming water will not work well if the water isn't closer to 120...100 won't cut it. But, some DW can heat the water, and other than taking longer for the cycle to run, they'd work with cold going in. They act like a mini water heater when they are not at optimum temperature, but again, that feature is not available on all, and on many of those, you have to turn it on to function.

Bottom line, if the WH tank was generating 100-degree water, I'd not find that acceptable. Distribution losses in getting to say a shower would mean a cold shower, and it wouldn't work well at grease when trying to wash dishes in the sink, either!